WineXpert Dumb Hydrometer Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francie

Reaction score
Ok, I am sorry to post this, but the hydrometer I purchased does not seem to give me a clear reading. Instead of having 1.0, etc readings, the numbers are 1-20, then there is another set of numbers 0-400, then another set of numbers starting at 1000, but then going downward to 50. I am so confused as to how I am supposed to be taking correct readings!! I am trying to make the Wine Expert Selection French Chard. Before I can rack it, the reading needs to be 1.010 which is not on my hydrometer!! I think the first reading was 11 if I did it right, but now I am not so sure as to which side of the hydrometer I was to take the reading since there are three sets of numbers!! Help!! Tomarrow is day seven in the primary!!

Francie

Francie,
Where did you get the hydrometer? Does it have a brand or any other mark on it? The 11 you got was probably potential alcohol reading, which correlates to a little over 1.080. That is if it was the starting specific gravity. What number do you get now? If it has been 7 days now, it is pobably ready to transfer to the secondary, whether you have a reading or not. Wait a little while and see if anybody can give you more information or not. If not, then rack it and try to get further information before the end of the kit. Good luck.

I agree with Appleman and if your room temperature is in the 70 degree range then go ahead and transfer to secondary. Not sure what type of hydrometer you have but if you bought it a brew shop I would ask them what they sold you.

You need a triple scale hydrometer made for wine and beer making that gives you Specific Gravity, Potential Alcohol, Sugar by Brix or Balling

SG scale 0.78-1.150; potential ABV scale 0-16%; sugar per liter scale 0-34

If you use the PA scale on this hydrometer the reading that you want for transfering to the secondary will be 3 - 4 % PA. Rack at that level and you will be good to go. When I first made wine I didn't understand sg but took easily to PA.

Pete

"Potential Alcohol:

This scale tells the winemaker how much alcohol can be made from the sugars that are currently in the juice. A single reading on the Potential Alcohol scale can NOT tell the winemaker how much alcohol is already in the wine. It can only tell the winemaker how much MORE alcohol can be made, based on the liquid's current weight or thickness, or in other words, how much sugar still remains in the juice."

This scale was pretty close on mine...when I tested the must..

Latest posts

Back