Drip system

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyRam

Reaction score
How far from the vine does everyone put their drip emitter? I have seen somewhere on the net that it was recommended to put them 12" ether side of the vine.

Hopefully someone with more srip irrigation experience chimes in here. From the little bit that I have done, my emitters are placed 12 inches from the vine like you mention. It seems to work but I need it very little and only on one small site.

When you first plant the grapevine, put the drippers right beside the vine. At the one year in the ground point, move the poly pipe and dripper 12 inches to the side of the vine. Add another dripper 12 inches away from the vine on the other side. That will allow the water to spread in around a 4 foot space. Most people seem to use 1 or 2 gal drippers, but it really depends upon how porous your soil is and how fast it absorbs the water. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I just picked up the drip irrigation parts and pieces to put on my vineyard Saturday. Does it matter if I put the drippers on the top of the tubing, side or bottom of the tubing as it lays on the ground?

I had envisioned putting them on the side of the tubing as it lays. Pointing up I think "stuff" may end up in the end of the dripper trying to plug it, same with down into the dirt.

I unrolled the tubing yesterday, hoping some of the curl goes out of it from being in a nice tight coil. It is 18 mm.

So does direction of dripper matter?

I am planning on attaching my tubing to the first wire. That way if I need to roto till for weeds it is not in the way.

I placed the 2gph drip emitters 3-6 inches offset from the base of the vines pointing down with the support wire about 16 inches above ground and all seems well with that. I did however create a slight basin when I planted the vines. My soil is sandy so I have no runoff after applying a couple of gallons. I power the water from a portable tank using a solar powered 12 volt marine battery, an RV DC pump, and digital timer. It was fun to design and works well for 50 vines. It is nice to have enough space to hoe and till if required.

Latest posts

Back