Dried Cherry Vanilla

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo

Reaction score
Formulating what is likely not a jojo original. I am thinking Kellers Dried Cherry with beans (I hear them Texans don't like beans)
smiley36.gif

Please post any ideas if you like.

Recipe forthcoming.......

Personally, I like to add my own character to any wine-recipe I come across. Not necessarily my own, but I like to take tea-blends as a guide. They are usually (in my experience) purrdy darn good - maybe even Texans like 'em.
smiley2.gif

Here are a few additions that might make an interesting, original wine with something you could call "Jojo's own"

Hibiscus, rosehips, roasted chicory root, blackberry leaves, hawthorn berries, chamomile flowers.

Hope this helps!

BTW, the source of the tea-additives are from sleepy-time teas. I've always thought every tea-blend tasted good, and that's where I get lots of my ideas. I'm not that original!!!

Martina - Those sound interesting and delicious. But where do you find such things?

I used beans in my Tupelo Vanilla mead and found I got better extraction of flavor when I scraped the inside of the bean and added to the secondary. I was told not to do this but even slicing them and added whole I didn't get enough vanilla.
smiley7.gif

I figured it would be the same as adding vanilla to ice cream...scrape the bean and add the insides with seeds and throw the rest of the bean into the sugar bowlto flavor that.
smiley4.gif

I am always tweeking recipes and it is the only way to learn what works and what don't.

I just checked: You can get everything listed above at http://www.oldtimeherbs.com/herbs/

I use them all the time for my wines, and they are very high in quality - no matter what I buy.

I have used them in my 3-4 years in winemaking, and I've never had anything but good products from them. I have bought cloves, caraway, cinnamon, hibiscus, juniper and so many other things from them. As I have stated in another post -- as much as I value George's business, I value the products from these people too. I have never had personal contact as I have had with George and his store, I can assure the quality of the products of this one. I wouldn't offer it if I wasn't sure.

Shipping is fast, reliable and they put things in plastic baggies with twist-ties. If you use them within 2-3 months, you should be okay with freshness. The smell of their packages is heavenly.
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back