Dragon Blood in 15 days!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started my Lemon/Lime/Cherry version of a Dragon's Blood wine...if it turns out the way I'm hoping it will I'll put up the recipe. Just have to wait and see how it goes :D

Here she is...I think it is more of a Cherry/Lemon/Lime, fermenting away. It is now down to 1.050sg from 1.085
dscf0001ug.jpg

It certainly looks good, Derek. Hope it turns out well! My lemon cherry came out very nice. The addition of lime should give it some extra Zing!

Just tasted my Dragon Blood that I started this summer and let sit until now. The berry flavor is now coming out up front with a little tartness on the finish. I'm going to add another cup or 2 of sugar to bring more sweetness out...

I used my own personal recipe, a modified, simpler version of Lon's original skeeter pee recipe. I call the wine Dragon Blood. Here's the recipe. The only variation was the addition of bentonite to the primary before pitching the yeast.

FROM DANGERDAVE'S EASY PEESY (SKEETER PEE) RECIPE

Ingredients: For a six gallon batch:
Starting SG was right at 1.085. Yeast was EC-1118---no slurry. I did not filter.

Yikes is right! I still can't believe it. I have two more batches going just to see if this was a miracle (Well, Jesus made wine, lots of it, and very quickly, too!) :dg

dave, I was actually going to ask around for a fruity wine because I saw people doing Strawberry-Kiwi and kept reading until I found this recipe.

I looks and sounds great.

What would cost me to get a bottle shipped to me before I experiment with your recipe? :h:h

I have 5 gal carboys and 6gal plastic buckets. Let me do some math for a 5gal carboy.:b

Some of you might remember the clearing problem I had with the strawberry rhubarb. Welp, after 3 months of letting it sit in the carboy, this thing is finally clear. Time does clear all. :D Benefit of that is it had a bit of time to mature.

QdUAD.jpeg

I siphoned off a bottle to let my official taste testers try. For this one, I was going for tart and only used 1.5 cups of sugar to backsweeten. Guy said this was his favorite batch yet.

Last edited:
dave, I was actually going to ask around for a fruity wine because I saw people doing Strawberry-Kiwi and kept reading until I found this recipe.

I looks and sounds great.

What would cost me to get a bottle shipped to me before I experiment with your recipe? :h:h

I have 5 gal carboys and 6gal plastic buckets. Let me do some math for a 5gal carboy.:b

I am embarrassed to admit that---due to a terrible miscalculation---I am currently out of the Dragon Blood! I now have three batches clearing, along with the Dragonette and the Red Dragon Melomel in production, so it's on the way. None available right now, unfortunately.

You'll have to make your own! :p

very true but i dunno about your wife but 15 days of sober unhappiness whoa look out :)

Luckily for me, she loves me. :i I made her a raspberry white zin last month, and she really likes the tropical fruit wine I make. Those are starting to run low, though, so I need to start more of the tropical soon. In the Dragon Blood category, I have three regular batches clearing, the Dragonette is ready to bottle, and the melomel is in secondary. Johnna's green apple riesling (another of her favorates) is ready to fine, my Italian pinot grigio (with golden raisins) is bubbling in secondary, while two more kits sit waiting to start, and four hundred bottles in the garage need cleaned and delabeled.

That would all be fine, if making wine was all I did with my life! :re

I posted this on an older thread and wasn't sure if it would be seen.

Dave,
Couple of questions. I apologize if these have been addressed so direct me to the proper location if so.
I am very new to all of this, I have my first batch of wine fermenting now(Ocean Spray fruit juice, cranberry/raspberry). I just bought a 1gallon kit to start to make sure I would like it or be able to figure it out.
Dragons Blood looks very good as I like a sweeter wine.
1. I have a 2 gal primary with lid and hole in top, when mixing the initial ingredients, do I put this lid on or a towel or the lid with airlock?
2. I don't have a brew belt, is that necessary or can I use what I have in the kit?
3.Degas? I assume this is stirring alot?
4. Can I cut all ingredients by a sixth to make a gallon batch?

Thank you for your patience. I will try not to be to much of a newbie.

wineforfun said:
1. I have a 2 gal primary with lid and hole in top, when mixing the initial ingredients, do I put this lid on or a towel or the lid with airlock?
2. I don't have a brew belt, is that necessary or can I use what I have in the kit?

Air lock or lid, your choice bud. I do airlock but with this you need too push the fruit down twice a day until you take it out so a towel might be easier. I know these buckets and their lids can be a pain sometimes.

I've never used a brew belt and have made this exact recipe, so in short, no worries! just put the ferment bucket In a room that's warmer if you're house is cold.

Degas, basically its during alot but when your get to this point you won't want to introduce alot of oxygen in the wine so stir alot but not hard enough to splash the wine around. Or let it sit for a long time and it will Degas itself over time.

And you can definitely cut the recipe down. I don't recommend it only because this wine is great tho and you will wish you made more!

I also also thinking about making 1 gallon as an experiment and trial but not sure if the ingredients can be purchased in smaller quantities.

This stuff is really ready that soon? Im new to wine making and learning. Ive got a few one gallon runs mainly because I was on a budget when buying the equipment. Im up to two 5 gallon carboys now. Its addicting as hell once you start but I have sooooooooooo much to learn.

No worries, mate! We were all newbies at one time.

Keena did a great job of answering your questions, but let me convey what I do.

1. I use six gallon fermenters with lids. I do not snap them down, just place the lid on top and cover with a towel or blanket. This makes it easy for stirring and squeezing.
2. I make my wines in my basement/cellar. It stays a constant 65F-67F down there. Great for wine storage, but not so for quick fermentation. That's why I use the brew belt.
3. Like keena said---if you don't have a vacuum---stir but don't aerate. I have never been good at this---my ADD kicks in---so I use my super-fantastic allinonewinepump!
4. One gallon?! Like keena said, you will be sorry! Make a bigger batch! But, yes, this can be done. Divide by 6 and let her rip!

Good luck! :b And good wine!

geek said:
I also also thinking about making 1 gallon as an experiment and trial but not sure if the ingredients can be purchased in smaller quantities.

The wine type ingredients are not that expensive and come in quantities that make like 20 gal. For example yeast nutrient is like $2 and you get enough to make many batches in it. But the berries and lemon juice are what you will need to find in smaller correct quantities

It costs like $25 to make a 6 gallon batch. You might as well go big. :p

Latest posts

Back