Double Handed Corker Denting corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch of SP and used, for the first time, the double-handed corker. I used #8 corks (natural) and, based on reading here, did not pre-soak (dry).

All of the corks ended up with a hideous dent in the middle matching the plunger and all (but one) were pushed about 1/2cm below the top of the bottle lip.
Is this common?

I've used a floor corker and every cork looked perfect.
I've also used a pneumatic corker that was, likely, poorly adjusted and resulted in most of the corks sitting a couple mm above the top of the bottle.

I have to say, holding the bottle between my knees while sitting on the floor: it was much easier than I thought it'd be.

Hi, two parts to the question and two answers. As far as the dent, that's typical of a 2 handed corker. Floor corkers typically squeeze the cork to a small diameter as the slide the cork in so there is much less force pushing them down. The two handed has to mash the cork in and that extra force creates the dent. Not much can be done about that. The second part is about pushing the cork in too far. Check your corker and see if there is a screw and nut that will let you adjust the depth of the plunger.

Good luck

All of the corks ended up with a hideous dent in the middle matching the plunger and all (but one) were pushed about 1/2cm below the top of the bottle lip.
Is this common?

Yes. Throw it out and use the floor corker. You will thank yourself and save yourself countless sessions of screaming at the silly thing.

I agree with AZMDTed, my experience was exactly the same, never could come up with a solution for it. I bought a floor corker and don't miss the double handled one at all.
P.S. I did do a quick dip in water with each cork just before inserting and it did minimize the dent slightly for me, but only slightly. Best of luck.
Mike

I bought a Portuguese floor corker. They run around $60US and after testing it, I would easily pay twice that price for it vs the hand corkers!

Well, I guess I am in the minority. Use a double handle and have no issues.
FYI it does squeeze the cork into a smaller opening before entering the bottle, at least mine does.
The only issue I ever had was a "burr" molded on the inside. Once removed, so far all has been well.

I guess if I was bottling numerous cases, I would definitely get a floor corker but for my 100-150 bottles year, no need yet.

They run around $60US and after testing it, I would easily pay twice that price for it vs the hand corkers!

Then get the Italian one with brass jaws.

I bought a Portuguese floor corker. They run around $60US and after testing it, I would easily pay twice that price for it vs the hand corkers!

There's a guy on Kijiji selling used ones for about half that. I think I'll have to pay him a visit (and get another 6Gal carboy - or two)

There's a guy on Kijiji selling used ones for about half that. I think I'll have to pay him a visit (and get another 6Gal carboy - or two)

Sounds like a great deal to me and more carboys are a bonus!

Really though!! The dent/depression is of no consequence in the scheme of anything! Actually I view it as a guide for the corkscrew! No one should care unless you put a price tag on it...

Latest posts

Back