Ferrari double action corking issue?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty520

Reaction score
Wanted to migrate to corked bottles and having trouble getting a clean corking. Using a Ferrari double action corker with synthetic corks.

Even when at the deepest setting, the corks stick out the top, and has a little "muffin top" where the top edges of the cork sticks out over the lip of the bottle mouth, with a deep indentation in the center of the cork from the plunger.

Perhaps the corks are just too soft?

the depth of the plunger can be adjusted which should correct the cork exposure. could you be using the wrong size corks causing our indentation and muffin top?
Could you talk about proper cork sizing?? Feel like i am missing something.

normally #8 or#9 corks are used for wine bottling the #9 are slightly larger. I used these for long term storage on wines. if the bottle is for screw caps the opening is smaller and a #8 is recommended it still may cause and indentation.

normally #8 or#9 corks are used for wine bottling the #9 are slightly larger. I used these for long term storage on wines. if the bottle is for screw caps the opening is smaller and a #8 is recommended it still may cause and indentation.
If you are using corks in screwtop bottles, be aware that this can be dangerous!

The screwtop necks are thinner and are known to shatter when corking or, as happened to my fermenter mentor, when removing the cork.

Personally, besides the dangers of shattered glass, I put too much time and effort and money into my wines to risk shattered bottles because of corking screwtops. This is one of those lessons I am much happier to learn through the experiences of others rather than testing fate myself.

I have not used synthetic corks (in cork finish bottles) yet but I have read that they are known to get a crease or have a mushroom top with some corkers.

Latest posts

Back