Don't try this at home

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too much information....

Too Funny! Freud would have a field day with this one!

Julie,

I feel for you. Personally, I was WAY more afraid of my parents punishment then anything that the school would dish out for bad behavier. Looking back, I cant help by feel how right my parents were. Their reinforcement of my teachers made a success out of me. Why can't parents realize this?

I say, suspend a couple of them. Having them stay at home for a couple of weeks (where the parents will have to deal with them) might bring the parents around.

Also, I went to a Catholic school. Saying F**K you to a priest will see you in Hell (in both this life and the next).

Last edited:
I have some relatives that will try almost anything to escape reality and personal responsibility. It will make you mad enough to chew nails sometimes. I have heard the latest craze is to soak a tampon in alcohol and put it, well lets just say gals and guys put it in the same place. Instant buzz along with better chances of alcohol poisoning, can you say IDIOT..."someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way"

I owned a liquor store for 10 years, had lots of chances to sell fake drugs when they were legal and decided not to. the only thing I sold along that line was rolling papers.
It was mostly high school kids that came in looking for it. We had a tough policy for checking ID' for tobacco and alcohol and it got around to the schools so after a while we saw few kids come in.
I live in an area where meth is pretty rampant and to see what it does to people I wonder why anyone would think of even trying it. Between black teeth and 4X aging process as just visual not to mention what it does inside makes me cringe.

As for people (not just kids) trying "NEW" things, I put some blame on the media. Someone tries something new (tampons in alcohol) the media picks up on it and broadcasts it, now there are 100 people going to try it when before it would have been only 1 or two.
My turn to step off my soap box.

They also soak gummy bears in vodka, so now the schools have to watch out for the bags of gummy bears!

And I agree, the media and social media as well seem to be hurting us more than they are helping us.

I have some relatives that will try almost anything to escape reality and personal responsibility. It will make you mad enough to chew nails sometimes. I have heard the latest craze is to soak a tampon in alcohol and put it, well lets just say gals and guys put it in the same place. Instant buzz along with better chances of alcohol poisoning, can you say IDIOT..."someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way"

WHAT???? EEEEEEW!

How could this be even remotely enjoyable?

I didn't say the drugs were tolerated. The stores are. They didn't start kicking doors in over bath salts until it turned somebody into a face eating zombie. Even after all that, they still let the synthetic weed and drug paraphanelia slide in the stores.

I've arrested guys on paraphernalia charges who were still in the parking lot of the store they bought it from. But if I went in the store and hooked the owner who sold it to him up, I'd be looking for another job.

Not the case here. They are all shut down, and quite a few owners have been successfully prosecuted. As you know, you show publicly that it can stick, and other people clean up their act pretty quick. You can't find bath salts for retail sale in AL or TN.

TN...
http://www.wkrn.com/story/14925144/legal-high-from-bath-salts-soon-to-be-illegal-in-tenn

AL...
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/02/sythetic_bath_salts_illegal_in.html

There are so many arrest stories from those states, I'll let you Google those yourself.

I guess what I am saying is that a Martian who came to earth would be very confused to see that wine drinking is perfectly OK but eating mushrooms or smoking weed isn't

I got one for you on the mushrooms. They grow in my cow pasture on the droppings. As they are, they are legal in TN. But if I pluck or clip one, I have just become a felon.

One more and I'll shut up awhile. :)

I think the true cause of much of the youthful desire for chemical escape (and alcohol is still by far #1!!!!) has to do with the ever-increasing pressure to excel competitively. I could see this coming back in the 80s when Japan was so much in the media, and how much people there compete. It is a natural outgrowth of an increasingly crowded country, the same way a hundred cows will be mellow on 300 acres but be pushing and shoving each other if you put them on 20.

I'm getting old now, but when we wanted to play baseball we just got together a group of neighborhood kids, went to a vacant lot and played, or did it in the back yard. Now? OH NO! That won't do! You have to have uniforms and drive the kids 10 miles to an official ballpark and have umpires and a whole organized system of intense competition where the parents get in the faces of the officials and scream or even actually hit them. Meanwhile, suburban neighborhoods look like ghost towns. Nobody is home there, or if they are they dare not come outside and interact like parents used to do in my neighborhood. That creates a breakdown in parental communication and authority.

Same in school. When I was in kindergarten, tying your shoes and counting to 100, knowing your ABC's - those were the standards. Now, kids are expected to start learning a second language and do math and spell out words, etc.

There's little time to be a kid anymore, and almost every activity we did just for fun has been perverted into some kind of survival of the fittest. We're piling more and more competitive pressure on them at earlier ages. It's easy to see why kids try to get away from that, even if for only a little while.

Then at the same time that there is little time to be a kid anymore, adult decisions are put off longer and longer. People who are 34 are just now getting a job.

I'm glad I grew up when I did.

Wow you are on a roll, :) and I love it!!!!

I hear ya, children are not left alone with each other anymore. So they do not have the experience on interacting with each other and that is part of growth development. Cyber school is another problem, again, no interaction.

jswordy said:
Not the case here. They are all shut down, and quite a few owners have been successfully prosecuted. As you know, you show publicly that it can stick, and other people clean up their act pretty quick. You can't find bath salts for retail sale in AL or TN.

TN...
http://www.wkrn.com/story/14925144/legal-high-from-bath-salts-soon-to-be-illegal-in-tenn

AL...
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/02/sythetic_bath_salts_illegal_in.html

There are so many arrest stories from those states, I'll let you Google those yourself.

Dont have to, got an in depth 8 hour long law enforcement sensitive briefing on it. They are almost all bath salt arrests. Or Incense laced with actual thc. Not paraphernalia arrests. Not purely synthetic non thc sprayed "legal weed."

Latest posts

Back