Does filtering degas the wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertb

Junior
Reaction score
I am doing my first Mosti Mondiale kit. Contained within the directions is the following statement: “we strongly recommend filtering your wine as it will allow your wine to obtain a bright finish along with being fully degassed.” I have always been concerned with degassing completely and have filtered my wines. As long as I continue to filter, is degassing not an issue?
Thanks,
Robert

You need to degas your wine first or it may not clear well as trapped C02 will keep sediment from falling preventing your wine from clearing thus clogging your filters. You should only filter a wine that is already clear! Filtering is to polish a wine or to remove very very fine sediment and even unstable color from falling out in your bottles. Filtering will help degas your wine but its should be already degassed very well already!

Wade,
Thanks for the response. I have only filtered after proper clearing. I guess I just wanted some peace of mind that it is properly degassed. By your response, it would seem to follow that it is properly degassed if it cleared correctly. For some reason, that step has always worried me. I suppose that I will worry no more.
Robert

It can still contain too much C02 even if your wine cleared. Its very hard to tell if you have done a good job degassing your wine by using a dill mounted stirrer or especially just a spoon. You can usually taste or feel on your tongue when a wine isnt degassed enough.

Latest posts

Back