Do I need more sorbate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUwiner

Reaction score
My white muscadine wine is about two months old. It has been racked 3 times and is now in a carboy to cold stabilize. Prior to the last racking I added required sulfite, sorbate, additional sugar, and a clarifying agent. After a couple of weeks I racked it again into the present carboy. When I sampled it during this last racking I found it still a little dry for my taste, so I added more sugar. Do I need more sorbate or should what was added previously be adequate to stop any further fermentation?

I think your sorbate is ok but you might want to add a little more Kmeta. It probably gassed out1/2 way during racks and stirs.

You are probably okay on the sorbate. Just keep an airlock on the carboy and watch for any signs of re-fermentation. Sorbate does not "stop" fermentation, per se, it inhibits the growth of yeast cells.

Also it does not dissipate. They level remain the same . Never double sorbate a wine. Even if it is fermenting when added it will do its job when wine finishes. BTW I never use it at all any more

Back