Mosti Mondiale Do I need Beano?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
MM, Renaissance, Italian Pinot Grigio.
It was Day 19 (instructions estimated day 9-14) of secondary fermentation with SG at .996 for 3 days (It took a few extra days to drop those last couple of thousandths out). Must temp was around 77*. Even though I saw a few tiny bubbles coming up the side of the carboy, I decided to degas it. I splash racked it into the primary bucket. Added stabilizing and clearing agents and stirred with the drill mounted mixer. I continued stirring, off and on, for about a half an hour. It was still producing a significant amount of bubbles when I splash racked it back into a clean carboy and air-locked it. By the next morning it was remarkably clear and the remaining bubbles that were on top had disappeared.
I plan to bulk age this for a few months before bottling. If there is any gas remaining, will it dissipate over time or do I need to degas it again, maybe at the next racking?
Thanks.

I'm sure it's fine after all that you did. You can ckeck later on by placing a small amount in a bottle and shake it up with your thumb on top. Remove your thumb and if you get a significant ffffftttt. It still has CO2. Usually if your wine cleared fast all the CO2 is out.

When shining a light thru the carboy, I see, almost microscopic particles, seemingly floating in suspension. Other than that, I can read through it. Those particles couldn't be due to excess gas, could it? Is it still considered "clear" knowing that I just degassed it three days ago? I am very patient. I just want to be sure it was properly degassed.
Thanks!

Mike, even though you see alot of sediment in the bottom and the wine is clear there is still tiny bits of wine stuff (yeast, living and dead, grape pieces, seed pieces etc) floating in the wine. It will all settle in time. If you were to rack now you would still see sediment appear down the road time wise from now.

It's all a good learning experience. Patience will pay off. Don't hurt yourself but pat yourself on the back. Good job.

Thanks guys, for all your positive reinforcement. Much needed comments for this newbie.

Yep, be patient... It'll turn out great. you're going to like this wine!!! :try

Back