Do I have a disaster in the works??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ChuckGauthier

Reaction score
:? A bit over a week ago, I was setting up a batch of Blackberri Wine, 5 gal. I put the berries in the fermenter and added peptic enzyme and sugar to 1.085 SG. Next morning before I could add yeast etc, I had a Dr's apt and figured I would finish when I got home.........Well, I did not get back home for 4 days due to heart acting up, aphib and a very slo heart beat. Well I managed to get back out of the hosp and this post is proff I am still here. When I checked the blackberry must, it was fermenting and I made the choice to let it finish. Guess a native yeast must have kicked it off, so what do you think I should do now?

let it run its course, move to primary when it hits 1.000 and add some campden tablets. 1 per gallon.

Glad you're still here..

I'd use your sniffer really well.. Make sure theres no rotten egg or nail polish remover type smells..

Take an SG reading

If its 1.040 +
Add some yeast nutrient (1/3 - 1/2 dose for 5 gallons)

If its below 1.040
... Do you have any Fermaid-O?
If theres no off odors (mentioned above; sniffer) then you may not need Fermaid-O, but...

When fermentation stops, be sure to be on top of adding the 1/4 tsp k-meta so that any additional spoilage bacteria dont get a rockin-rollin-rumbling start on a wine you think is safely sitting minding its own business

Thanks for the help. It has no off odors, SG at the moment, just checked is between 099 and 1.0, three lines above .099 but short of 1.0. Tastes slightly sour. I did remove fruit at about 1.10

Deezil, I quit making wine last year, son in law was hitting it to hard, no wine, no problem. This year so far, 4 1/2 gal apple, hope to spice some for the holidays, then this blackberry, still have plum in the freezer for a batch. Found a place to maybe get some Eldaberry juice and others and might make some from juice later. All wines will get bottled and stored to resolve problem.

Last edited:
1ChuckGauthier, glad you are ok. Deezil has given you some good advice. James I won't be adding campden tablets just because the fermentation is at 1.000. You need to wait until fermentation has completed.

Latest posts

Back