DIY Fermentation Boxes - ideas…

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

AbruzziRed

Reaction score
I am looking for ideas to upgrade my current pink foam fermentation chamber.

I use foam, ink bird controller and an old light bulb. Works good but I am looking for something more stable and long lasting.

Let’s see photos of yours, what do you use for heat source.

Attachments

• CE2C56EA-68E8-440F-9E74-C4B183550D05.jpeg
    CE2C56EA-68E8-440F-9E74-C4B183550D05.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1

Jusatele

Reaction score
I admire your ingenuity, great picture
I think, from reading your post, that you need to warm up the chamber, and want a larger chamber.
from my experience, old chest freezers make excellent fermentation chambers, clean them up and you can bypass their thermostats and add add your control system. The reason I say that is if you are a bit handy, and know how to set up a ac/heater stat then you can devise a system that can keep the vessel within a 6 to 8 degree range. Now remember that the vessel in your chamber with the most active fermentation is going have a temp higher than the rest so find the temp you want the chamber not the vessel.
my best setup was a freezer with a hot plate set up with a thermostat that hung on the outside and a probe inside, I keep it set at 58n to 68, normally a active fermentation was at mid 70s.
Good luck

AbruzziRed

Reaction score
I admire your ingenuity, great picture
I think, from reading your post, that you need to warm up the chamber, and want a larger chamber.
from my experience, old chest freezers make excellent fermentation chambers, clean them up and you can bypass their thermostats and add add your control system. The reason I say that is if you are a bit handy, and know how to set up a ac/heater stat then you can devise a system that can keep the vessel within a 6 to 8 degree range. Now remember that the vessel in your chamber with the most active fermentation is going have a temp higher than the rest so find the temp you want the chamber not the vessel.
my best setup was a freezer with a hot plate set up with a thermostat that hung on the outside and a probe inside, I keep it set at 58n to 68, normally a active fermentation was at mid 70s.
Good luck
Thanks, I was considering a chest freezer but I don’t have enough room. Right now the pink foam is on my stainless steel table with aluminum tape on the corners. I am looking for something more permanent for that area. I think I may frame a box as mentioned earlier and use the pink foam. I may put it on my shelf where the car boys are.

Rice_Guy

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Similar to you,
one inch FRP skin foam board, corners taped, floor wire shelving, grandpa’s old heating mat under the wire shelf, cement board as a base, inkbird temp control.
Fermenter is a 120 mm lid, ten liter PET bottle with a mini hydrometer floating inside, silicon cover. Quick temp is infra red. 15A3396F-2AFB-4D81-9113-1C2DCE89EE1E.jpeg
it works

Last edited:

Jusatele

Reaction score
I have built a few grocery stores, the big walk in coolers and freezers they have are just about the same technology as foam board with a skin on them. they even cut them in what length they need. they put metal track on the edges. that would be easy to duplicate. find some u shaped metal and see what measurements you need to get it to work and go for it. Adhesives for the edging with a few well placed screws and you will be making a setuo that the professionals use.