Distilled Vinegar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTaylor

Reaction score
I was going OCD over a spec of something at the neck of my carboy. I wanted to use something sterile to remove it so I dipped a Q-Tip in distilled vinegar and swabbed it out. Turns out whatever was in the carboy was some type of solid. I don't think it was growth. Now my concern is that I shouldn't have used vinegar. Should I worry about it or was this a safe thing to do?

as long as it is properly sulfated im sure you will be fine. but maybe someone with more experience will chime in. next time you want to dip something in your wine sanitize it with a K-meta solution

You should be fine but defin. use k-meta next time. Vinegar is a big no-no...

Thanks for the information. Won't do it again. I would have used k-meta, but laziness got the better of me.

Thanks for the information. Won't do it again. I would have used k-meta, but laziness got the better of me.

I know the feeling! But I found out the hard way laziness can ruin a really good wine... I recently had 6 gallons of 8 month old watermelon that I lost due to a little laziness... :(

Latest posts

Back