Dilemma

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryDJ

Reaction score
So I finally got my first wine bottled once I finally got it clear. But now I have a dilemma. I currently have a raspberry wine going. Starting SG was 1.100 and after a month it is down to 1.005. My dilemma is this. Should I stabilize now and hopefully not have to backsweeten. Or let it go dry and then end up having to backsweeten. thinking with a starting SG of 1.100 I would probably want to stablize now wo I don't get into the 15% alchohol range since that might make it a little harsh.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

It's pretty tough to stop an ongoing ferment. How do you plan on doing it?

BTW, 1.100 dropping to .995 is only 14%.

Steve

cpfan said:
It's pretty tough to stop an ongoing ferment. How do you plan on doing it?

BTW, 1.100 dropping to .995 is only 14%.

Steve

I agree, it can be tough to stop an on going fermentation. Sulfite alone will not do it.
If you have the ability, get it really cold to stop the fermentation and make sure to treat it with sorbate before you bring it back to ambient temp.
Rack to get as much yeast out as possible

As Cfan said, stopping a fermentation is pretty tough. You would need to cold stabilize and then sterile filter.

Let it ferment to dry, stabilize and backsweeten.

I has slowed down quite a bit already, The yeast is supposed to be good for about 12% so guessing it is struggling already. thinking some sorbate/sulfite will probably stop it. Then I can let it clear and get it into a clean carboy to start aging.

Yeast has been know to go farther than there alcohol level. Leave it sit for a couple of weeks and see if the sg is moving. If fermentation is still happening you are taking a chance of having bottle bombs.

Yea, bottle bombs would be bad. But being that it is a raspberry wine, I have read that it should bulk age for 6-12 months before bottling. So it will be in a carboy for quite a while just in case it decides to referment. I'll decide tomarrow if I am going to try and stop it or just let it go dry. I have more important things to consider now. Like what I am going to put in my primary next. :)

Latest posts

Back