Did Sun (oxyclean) stain my carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimbaliw

8 year veteran
Reaction score
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been as active of late, work has become more like a job. Anyway I racked a batch of Chardonnay and a batch of Viognier the other night. At the end of the evening I filled each of the two spent carboys with warm water and a single scoop of unscented sun oxygen bleach. I let them set for about 24 hours. Last night I siphoned off the cleaning solution only to be left with what you see below. Any idea as to what happened and how to remedy it? It was unamenable to a brush.

Thanks
BC

photo.jpg

That is kind of strange. I can't see Oxyclean damaging glass but it may have. hmmm.... I would fill it up with water so that the area is covered which water and let it soak overnight and see if that helps.

Those are tough spots to try and clean - I personally use the carboy cleaner and it really works extremely well

I have had oxyclean leave a film like that on glass before, I just used a carboy brush and water and it came off.. Only happens when I let it dry in the sun..

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Sun oxyclean is all I ever use for cleaning it works great. If you rinse well there is no need to soak over night. Couple inches of hot water and a scoop of Sun shake well wait a few minutes shake again and rinse, carboys come out sparking clean.
You said you siphoned off the cleaner it needs some agitation. Rinse in hot water and shake it I bet it will be gone.

Thanks for the suggestions. I filled the carboys with, gasp, hot water and used a brush and got some pretty immediate gratification. I'll let them sit overnight and hopefully all will be well tomorrow.

BC

Yes Oxy clean will stain glass if left in to long. I have done it to clear bottle left over night. More than once. Sometime I forget they are soaking . But it does take labels off better than anything else

Yep, the oxy will stain, but if you cut the amount you use down til you figure the right amount, it won't leave any stain. Least that is what I have found. Arne.

How many scoops of the included cup for sun oxy clean do you guys use? I've just been doing a scoop per gallon.

How many scoops of the included cup for sun oxy clean do you guys use? I've just been doing a scoop per gallon.

I only use 1/2 scoop per 5 gallon carboy and add about 2 in of water. Then shake, swirl and brush if necessary.
It doesn't take a lot and is really slippery so the less I can get away with, the better.

Back