WineXpert Did I goof up my first batch of vino??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Vino

Reaction score
Oh boy, newbie wine maker needs advice........
smiley5.gif

I'm on my second batch of wine, this time I add a brew belt to the primary since my room temps are 62 - 63. The activity in the airlock is like an old time perculator. Multiple bubbles per second.

Now I'm wondering did I goof up my first batch. The activity in the airlock was not nearly as agressive (probably 1-2 bubbles per second) as compared to the 2nd batch with brew belt.

The first wine was a WE Vintners Reserve Merlot. The SG levels where met before racking and clearing and degassing.

The second wine is a WE Selection Rosa Luna.

Mike

If your SG readings were correct and confirmed by multiple consistent SG readings prior to stabilizing, you will be OK.

Smurfe

Smurfe, Thanks for the reassurance.

It took a couple of days longer to reach the final SG. Which Ichecked and had ontwo consecutive days in a row.

What a difference the Brew belt makes.........

Thanks again, I'm learning SO much here.

I have heard they were great. I normally don;t have a need for one in Louisiana. I did have a cold snap here and used a heating pad to keep my primary warm for a few days. Wish I would of had a brew belt as all new heating pads I could find shut off after an hour. Temperature makes a difference in wine making. The colder it is, the slower things go. Keep the questions coming.

Smurfe

I started my second batch this weekend. Its been two days and its
not bubbling very much. Its around 68 deg. in the room. My
first kit was bubbling after the first 24 hours. Do I need a
belt also.

68 degrees should be just fine. That is usually the target temp I am trying to keep my brew closet at. You may also want to double check the lid to make sure that it is on secure. If it is not then the CO2 released will escape from the lid before going thru the airlock. Also in my limited experience some kits seem to ferment a little slower initially and then pick up some steam. That is why the instructions don't give you an exact date to move to the next step.

As long as its bubbling youre fine. Some yeasts are much more active
than others. Some really start off slow like Cotes Des Blanc. It
usually takes 3 days for it to get going while Premier Cuvee rockets
right off the start. I will say if it gets any colder to keep it warm
though because I know that George was saying that a few of Winexperts
kits are a bear to get restarted.

smurfe said:
I have heard they were great. I normally don;t have a need for one in Louisiana. I did have a cold snap here and used a heating pad to keep my primary warm for a few days. Wish I would of had a brew belt as all new heating pads I could find shut off after an hour. Temperature makes a difference in wine making. The colder it is, the slower things go. Keep the questions coming.

Smurfe

The other day i bought a heating pad at super wal mart. About 25 dollars.

Called a Sunbeam king size. featuring heat sense technology. 6 heat settinga and selectable stay on or off in one hour.

I think the heat sense means that it only conducts wkere it is in contact with somethinh. It was warm under theprimary but no where else. I put the heavily folded towel between it and the primart as others have suggested. It works well so far

Back