Did I add to much sugar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would thaw like said above. I hope ther are in a zip lock. They can be thawed in a couple of hours if shread ove cookie sheets of under water.
Worst case is you need to add more yeast. and may be a little harder to clear.

I am thawing more berries right now, as I add them does it do any good to check the sg and see if I can get it to 1.080, also do I need to add more yeast or anything else---?

I am thawing more berries right now, as I add them does it do any good to check the sg and see if I can get it to 1.080, also do I need to add more yeast or anything else---?

Not sure how to do this but yes take another reading before adding the additional berries and then again after adding the berries. Hopefully someone can come on and help you figure out your abv.

Add the berries and watch your fermentation, chances are you might not need more yeast but have it ready incase.

Edit:
I saw on Alton Brown's tv show that things thaw faster under running water. You might try that since you need to thaw your berries in a hurry.

Thawing increases if you place on a metal tray. The molecules are closer and will pull the cold away from the package.

In the restaurant (and at home) you run cold water over the package to avoid bacteria from growing on it before serving/cooking.

I was able to thaw out a gallon plus 1 quart of berries real quick, only took 10 mins, as I had them vacume packed. this is about 6 1/2 pounds I have found out that wild blue berries yeild abt 1 1/8 pounds per quart. Dont think I can add any more as I have a 6 gallon fermet bucket and the level is already 5 gallons --not sure how much room should be left, my carboy is only 3 gallons for the secondary.... I just added them a few minutes ago and it is already bubbling out the air lock..so something is working pretty good.....hopefully not to go up like a phos garnade:slp someone on the forum said not to forget the pet--um so I added 1.2 tsp of that. Not sure if that will work after the fermenting is going on, havn't read anything abt that. So now what is the thaught, is the whole mess going to blow up in my garage???

I think the rule of thumb is to only fill the primary 2/3 to 3/4 full, but I'm not sure how much of that is just a safety margin.

I was able to thaw out a gallon plus 1 quart of berries real quick, only took 10 mins, as I had them vacume packed. this is about 6 1/2 pounds I have found out that wild blue berries yeild abt 1 1/8 pounds per quart. Dont think I can add any more as I have a 6 gallon fermet bucket and the level is already 5 gallons --not sure how much room should be left, my carboy is only 3 gallons for the secondary.... I just added them a few minutes ago and it is already bubbling out the air lock..so something is working pretty good.....hopefully not to go up like a phos garnade:slp someone on the forum said not to forget the pet--um so I added 1.2 tsp of that. Not sure if that will work after the fermenting is going on, havn't read anything abt that. So now what is the thaught, is the whole mess going to blow up in my garage???

Just LAY the lid on top. Do not snap it shot and you will be fine.
What "PET" did you add? We were saying Pectic enzyme.

Finished will be about 3 gal. When you rack to secondary you will have extra as much as 2 1.5ltr or 3/4 gal. Now worry as you wil have alot of sediment. Just make sure you have extra space. Winemaking is not exact and there is "lees" (sediment) you leave behind.

I added pectic enzyme, not a lot however. I checked the sg and it was 1.090 after adding all those berries--

Latest posts

Back