Did I add to much sugar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larlad

Junior
Reaction score
I am trying to make wild blueberry wine , got the equipment for 3 gallons ect, after I added the water I was adding sugar to get the sugar to 1.090, I somehow may have added to much as I ended up with 1.095 or 1.096 Is this going to be a problem for me? I had to add a lot more sugar to bring up the sg then the recipe was calling for but I expect the recipe was for tame blueberries which are totally different.

Post the recipe so we can better answer

First, welcome to the forum.
I guess we should start with what you are expecting the finished wine to be like. I have made some wines with a starting SG of about 1.09 and must say I did not particuarly care for the finnished product (sort of like cough syrup). Others have tasted it and said they liked it.

Sugar too much??

Recipe was for 1 gallon
2lbs Blueberries-
7pts water
1 3/4 lbs Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Acid Blend
1/2 tsp Petic Enzyme
1/2 tsp Energizer
1 Campden crush
1 pkg wine yeast

I did the recipe for 3 gallons used wild blueberries
7 3/4 lbs Blueberries
21pints water
I used the sg to raise to 1.090, had to add at least 71/2 lbs sugar or 7 3/4
but ended up with 1.095 or 1.096 depending how much I was shaking when measuring...
4 1/2 tsp Acid Blend
1 1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 1/2 tsp Energizer then mixed
3 Campden waited 26hrs then added yeast that is where I am now
took 1st reading before yeast and it was 1.096

Hate to say you will just get rocket fuel. 7#'s is way low for 3 gallons. Even if you didnt add so much sugar it will be colored wine with a kick. You need at least 5-6#'s per gallon. Can you get more fast?

I am not sure what to expect, but I really like a dry medium body wine, I usually like a Tempranillo , but do like a port once in awhile..I have just been getting wild blueberries for about 35 yrs and thought since they were so good this year would try a wine for the 1st time--I got about 52lbs in the freezer right now--thats a lot of pies and jam...ect

I am not sure what to expect, but I really like a dry medium body wine, I usually like a Tempranillo , but do like a port once in awhile..I have just been getting wild blueberries for about 35 yrs and thought since they were so good this year would try a wine for the 1st time--I got about 52lbs in the freezer right now--thats a lot of pies and jam...ect

LOL, forget the pies and jams, put more fruit in the wine. As Tom stated you should use 5 to 6 #'s of fruit per gallon. That will lower your sg a little bit and you should have a nice wine.

I have more blueberries, but would have to thaw them out,,,am I going to blow up??

OMG !
52#'s in the freezer and only used 7# for this wine.
QUICK.. add another 14#'s

I am not sure what to expect, but I really like a dry medium body wine,

You are not going to get what you want from what you currently have.
Follow Toms advice.
Luckily you have the answer in your freezer.

Last edited:
I have more blueberries, but would have to thaw them out,,,am I going to blow up??
Thaw them out as fast as you can and add to a straining bag .. Hopefully you are fermenting in a big enough bucket. Do not add frozen as it will kill the yeast. If you have another pkg then no worrl.
Remember to add more Pectic and ck the TA

You are not going to get what you want from what you currently have.
Follow Toms advice.
Luckily you have the answere in your freezer.

quick, fill your sink with hot water and drop 14 # worth in the hot water. keep changing out your water as soon as it's cold until they are thawed. ur also lucky that blueberry is easy to crunch/squish. good luck, welcome, and keep us posted!

Tom
Based on what he wants the finnished wine to be.
What would you recommend for his starting gravity, 1.08-1.085?

The yeast is LALAVIN K1-V1116

I was going to suggest trying to stop the fermentation early, which would give you a sweeter wine with an acceptable level of alcohol. I don't see that happening with K1V, and I see that you are going for a dry wine. To chime in with the chorus, you'll need to dilute it with something, more berries, grape juice (from concentrate would work), or even water (as a last resort).

Edit:
I saw on Alton Brown's tv show that things thaw faster under running water. You might try that since you need to thaw your berries in a hurry.

Last edited:
I think for med body he can go a little lighter on the # per gal maybe 6 # per gal. The gravity has nothing to do with body rather its the % of alcohol in the wine.
The more body you want the more # per gal is what I use.

My mixture is about 18 hrs into the first day , and is working pretty good right now, so should I pitch it and start over, I expect that you would mess it up by just simply adding more berries and crushing them by added them to the bag while the yeast is working already since I expect I would have to wait for a day for them to thaw out ect ect....:

Latest posts

Back