Dent

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for the floor corker to leave a Dent in the cork? Just trying it out

Attachments

• 20220312_131250.jpg
    20220312_131250.jpg
    911.5 KB · Views: 44
Good call, @Fencepost .

Screw top bottles aren't made to take corks. A friend of mine had a bottle shatter when removing the cork. The necks are not made to withstand the pressure.
I've heard but I was just trying the corker. I may instal swing tops on the screw tops or use the original caps for short term storage beverages

I've heard but I was just trying the corker. I may instal swing tops on the screw tops or use the original caps for short term storage beverages
The original caps may work once or twice, but eventually they fail. Screw them down hard and lay the bottles on their sides. Any bottle that leaks, pour the wine into a different bottle and recycle the bad one.

I read somewhere that using a cork one size smaller will work. I have never had a screwtop with normal cork give problems.

Consider yourself lucky with that. It isn't the insertion that causes the problem, it is the removal. The glass at the top is so much thinner than a bottle intended to be corked. It might be safe, if you always use a corkscrew that puts even pressure across the entire top of the bottle, but if you use a waiter's corkscrew type, at some point, one will break, hopefully it doesn't cause you injury. I was lucky and did not get injured. Others have not been so lucky. Screwtop bottles go right into the recycle bin after opening for me.

Good call, @Fencepost .

Screw top bottles aren't made to take corks. A friend of mine had a bottle shatter when removing the cork. The necks are not made to withstand the pressure.
So they say but I routinely use #9 corks in screw top bottles and have never had one break on me.

o they say but I routinely use #9 corks in screw top bottles and have never had one break on me.
Nope. Screwcap bottles are NOT made to withstand the pressure of a cork being inserted or extracted. The fact that you have not had a problem does not indicate the problem does not exist -- it means you have not experienced it.

Back