degassing racking clarifying question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhanger

Junior
Reaction score
I am making my first kit wine, a Cellar Craft Showcase Tempranillo. After secondary fermentation I racked the wine into a second carboy, added the potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite, and began degassing the wine using a power drill. My wine is still very murky. Should i rack and degas again before I start the clarifying process? Or should I start the clarifying process and then rack again later?

What does your kit instructions tell you to do? You will need to rack after clarifying.

That is a good kit!

Follow the directions exactly, except at day 28, when it says to bottle, go to another room and dont come back for 4 or more months. The extra time will allow the flavors to come around and all gas and sediment will have come out on their own.

I have started doing that with all my kits. It really does help.

still newbie myself

but from the ones i've done so far .. it will be murky until clarified...and many of the clarifying agents need that "murk" to work. dont rack off the fine lees until after you have clarified and allowed it to settle for a couple weeks (or per your instructions)

Latest posts

Back