degassing and other things

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaerick

Reaction score
I've still been exploring the archives, and seem to get more questions than answers. ;)

I read a thread about degassing. Is this something I should be doing with my fruit wines? None of my recipes ever mention it.

If so, when, and what does it do?

And while we're at it, are there other things I should be doing that the recipe writer just assume I know?

All wines, whether made from fruits, vegetables or whatever, require degassing to develop, clear and taste like they should. As to the technical jargon to describe or explain the causes/reasons I would defer to the likes of PeterZ. I am more of a "just beat the snot out of it" as Martina would say. I don't really understand the chemical process/changes occouring but I do undersatnd or know what a fizzy, bad tasting wine that has not been properly degassed tastes like.

The time to do it is after fermentation and before adding a fining
agent if your going to do so as the fining agent will not work properly
if your wine is not suffiently degassed.

Most, if not all, fruit wine recipes tell you (or should tell you) to stir daily, not only does this mix the fruit, or punch down the cap for better contact with must,yeast, etc, it drives out some of the gas every time you do this. C02 is a by product of the yeast converting the sugar into alcohol, not desired in finished still wines. A lot of us bulk age for a period after the wine is done, this also helps remove the C02, or carbonation, from the wine. Same principal as an open soda going flat in time. Compare to Sparkling Wines, that are made that way by yeast not being made inactive, letting them produce C02 in the bottle, carbonating it.

Latest posts

Back