De-gassing wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sully

Rookie
Reaction score
Can you wait to long to de-gas wine. what is the max wait time? What is the worst case senario from waiting to long to De-gas????

It will degass on its own, but I am not sure of any ill effects..

You didn't mention what kind of wine; if it is from kit or fresh/frozen grapes or from other fruit.

Red wine made on fresh/frozen grapes will generally degas on its own, because it gets pressed off the grapes. This pressing forses out most of the CO2.

Wine won't clear well, if it remains loaded with CO2. I have kept partially degassed kit wine in a carboy for 16 months with an air lock attached and it never did degas on its own. Maybe if the wine would have been stored at a higher temperature (72 to 75F), it would have degassed, but mine was stored in the mid 60'sF.

There is no advantage I can see for not degassing right after secondary fermentation is completed.

Last edited:
Given time any wine will natrually degass it's self. Kit wine takes much longer to do so than fruit wines. I do not belive there would be any long range damage done leaving a wine to degass on its own as long as the wine was racked away from the gross lees as soon as possible after ferment has completed.

If you're planning on bulk aging for less than 3 months I would just make sure you degas prior to bottling. Otherwise you will probably be ok

Concerning kit wines:
Given time, wine will eventually degas on its own.
What does "Eventually" really mean? "Eventually" is a very relative term.

Kit wines, even after fermentation is done, still are very different from similar wines made from fresh/frozen grapes.

Let me add to what I wrote earlier; since my kit wine, which was partially degassed right after secondary, still had gas after 16 months in an air locked carboy, I would not bank on it degassing on it's own in a REASONABLE amount of time. But true, in an absolute sense, it will eventually degas on its own.

If it's a kit wine, follow the instructions and degas it right after secondary fermentation is completed. Don't bank on it setting for many months and degassing itself.

I think the key is reasonable amount of time. Kits are also much more temperature reliant to properly degas. In short the higher your temperature the quicker the kit will degas with the downside the quicker the kit will mature and loose flavor due to the higher temperature.

It is a country wine my first a strawberry. I degassed well and now am on to finning and finishing. will be using Glycerin to get rid of harsh and to dry taste. also bentinite to clear. not sure if this is the best method. wine store guy told me this was the way, however i hold all of your opinions and knowledge on a much higher pedestal. =)

Back