De-Gassing question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All, ready to bottle 1st Winexpert Chablis this weekend, looks very clear, tastes like it's going to be decent in a bit BUT still tests gassy. I used the drill and paddle extensively in the carboy at 10 days but didn't see results. I'm thinking about splashing it between two buckets and using a great big Whisk or maybe electric whisk to see if that will do the job before bottling. Any negatives to this thought process???

Appreciate any ideas,
Thanks, Mike

Be careful that you don't stir in air, as whisking will likely do just that to your wine.

Give the wine a taste and see if you feel a little fizz on the end of your tongue. That's an indication of the presence of excess CO2. If you feel it, stir the wine, but don't let a vortex form. A vortex will pull massive amount of air (oxygen) down into the wine and can cause the wine to oxidize quickly.

If you don't detect any fizz, your wine is degassed.

Also, when you open a bottle of your wine, you can always decant it for a few hours before drinking. That will allow the gas to escape.

Mike:
I had the same problem, and found that I was reading too many books on the degassing subject. Just a slow turning and you will see the bubbles creep up the carboy. I degass for a few minutes and taste test. Some guys I know do not believe in degassing, they bulk age and in time the wine has a way of degassing on its own.

Either way, just remember not to over do it because you will whip air into the wine causing it to oxidize.

Sal

Thanks guys, I have the feeling you're right about overthinking / reading about the subject. It doesn't taste/feel fizzy, I just don't want bottles blowing up or popping corks. I'll go with just stirring and watch out for introducing air.

Rookies and stupid questions, should I face east or west when I'm bottling?

Mike

Here's an option for you.
I use a product called "Snail" it a wine bottle vacuum pump and cap. Well. the base of the vacuum cap can accommodate a 7 1/2 bung. Then you can attach it to 3-6 Gallon carboys and pull a vacuum on carboy to pull out any CO2 from your wine.

Those small vacuum devices can sue make a difference when degassing.
If you go to one of your sponsor's web site - finevinewines.com (The Wine Maker's Toy Store), and go to the video section. George (the owner) does several videos on making a wine kit from start to finish. In at least one of those videos, he shows how to use a VacuVin pump, a pump you can buy at many wine-related store. Its primary use is to extract the air out of a partial bottle of wine, so it can be drank the next day. It really can work well for getting out that last little bit of CO2. George also sells the VacuVin pump.

I'm thinking about splashing it between two buckets and using a great big Whisk or maybe electric whisk to see if that will do the job before bottling. Any negatives to this thought process???

Appreciate any ideas,
Thanks, Mike

Mike I personally would not splash between 2 buckets as you will defintley be adding oxygen to your wine. Have you ever thought about using a vacuum pump at all ? You wont ever have to lift another full carboy,it also degasses,can be used for filtering and bottles as well.

Back