Db started 2/10

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORnurse

Reaction score
I started my Db on 2/10 per dangers recipe except the full amount of lemon juice.I pitched the yeast on 2/11. Starting sg was 1.080. Today it's a bit under, I'd say 1.078. Nice crown of yeast present on top of liquid. Temps have all been around 75. Smells very "yeastie" in room.

Thanks, this am 2/13/13 the Db is snap, crackling and popping. For my first try, I divided dangers recipe amount of lemons juice in thirds . I added 1/3 in initial must mix. Tonight and tomorrow I will add the other 2/3s. Credit to stormyabyss for the idea of staging the lemon juice.

Thanks but i really didn't come up with it....a few people around here have posted about adding it at different times.... But i do think it helps the yeast start off strong.

I've never had a problem with the yeast working well. I make sure I give the pectic enzyme, yeast energizer and yeast nutrient 12 -24 hours before pitching the yeast. Usually going strong within a few hours. I do watch my temps closely - and make sure I am as close to 80 as I can get before adding the yeast -- I think that may be the key.

Sg down to .994. Racked to secondary. Sparkloid, sorbate and pot. Met added. Temp still in mid 70s.

Degassed for about 10 min. Found it to be a lot less gassy compared to kits, due to daily stirs.

Great. Will be bottling this Saturday along with a costal white I made a while back. I plan on starting a pineapple-strawberry version this Saturday as well.

How did yours turn out? Did you back sweeten at all?

It turned out far better than i would have ever thought possible. In the last week since I stabilized and hit it with sparkolloid the flavor has changed alot....it was very tart but it has mellowed out..I back sweetened last night and now just waiting a few days to make sure it doesn't start fermenting again before we bottle...we drank too much last night lol

Awesome! Just as advertized! :p
It'll go very quickly. Better get some more started! :dg

Latest posts

Back