Cellar Craft Darlington Point Riverina Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggerdan17

Self Made Thousandaire
Reaction score
I picked this kit up today and just finished pitching the yeast.

Has anyone done this kit?

I have the Yakima valley Syrah in bulk aging right now and I also noticed that my local FOP has the South African Shiraz as well.

Of the three 18 litre showcase Shiraz/Syrah kits that Cellercraft makes which do you prefer and why?

Digger

I enjoy a good syrah, but in all my wine making, I haven't made any of the Shiraz/Syrah kits. Keep us informed as to how it turns out.

Is this an old LR kit? Not seeing it anywhere currently in the Showcase lineup.....
smiley5.gif

diggerdan17 said:
I picked this kit up today and just finished pitching the yeast.

Has anyone done this kit?

I have the Yakima valley Syrah in bulk aging right now and I also noticed that my local FOP has the South African Shiraz as well.

Of the three 18 litre showcase Shiraz/Syrah kits that Cellercraft makes which do you prefer and why?

Digger

According to their website listed under 18 liter showcase reds it's a new kit.It can't be that new because I have seen this on their webpage for at least six months and the kit I just started was 6 months old at least .

I can't seem to open the cellarcraft website on my smartphone or else I would copy and paste the write up.

Digger

Try getting on cellercrafts own website and click on productlines / showcase reds. Again I can't seem to accsess this site on my phone right now

George did sell this kit but i just noticed in the past couple of weeks it has been taken off the showcase lineup. I'm not sure why as at some point i would like to do this kit especially after seeing what celler craft has to say about it.

The Cellar Craft website is still not responding this AM. I found the cached page:

New... Shiraz: 4 & 5 (double) / Body 5 / Sweetness 0
Darlington Point , Riverina, Australia
The wine shows a deep crimson colour with purple undertones. The up-front aromatics reflect
the typical dark fruit notes of blackberry, cherry, and plum, complimented by restrained black pepper which should become more pronounced with age. In the background are subtle layers of toast and vanilla from the oak. The aromas continue to the palate creating a soft, rounded expression of the fruits, spice, and oak. Tannins are in gentle harmony with the overall impression and create a well defined yet delicate frame for the wine. This Shiraz should be a very good match for a wide range of foods: steaks, braised lamb shanks, pizzas, chili con carne, pastas with tomato-based sauces. The wine is surprisingly approachable even just 12 weeks after pitching the yeast but will continue to develop for 2-3 years.

I made the Cellar Craft LR Cab/Shiraz last year and it tasted great at bottling. It came from the same growing region in AU. I think its time to open a split on this bad boy!

just a note, i did the old mundullo shiraz and i think it is the best tasteing wine i have done to date.....still early on everything, but love the potential of this young wine.....doing everything i can not to drink it......

How old is your old Mundullo? Mine is about a year and is the best Shiraz I have made to date.

Digger

mine is definitely less than a year old for sure, since i didnt start wine making till lastmarch or so......but if i had to guess off the top of my head (my notes are at home), i would say 8-9 months, bulk aged for 6 mos for sure....but it is awesome....En Primeur old Mundullo Shiraz.

Latest posts

Back