Dandelion wine question quick !!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twintrades

Reaction score
Thanks for looking. Im starting some wine tonight. And just would like to know. Recipe says no stalks.... So would i be good to have the little nub on the bottom of the flower ?? Or should i trim those off aswelll ? That wouldnt leave me with much...????

From what ive gathered, you wanna remove anything thats green.. So yeah, leaves you with very little - basically petals. The more work you put into the wine at this stage, will have a big determining factor on how good the wine is in the future. Too much of the greenery, and you end up with that vegetative taste

Ok i decided to make a 3 gallon batch. Just cuz cutting every damn flower sucked ! lol

I am wanting to start but not got enough petals as its done nothing but rain here in the UK :-(

Not many things nicer than sitting in a meadow on a sunny day pulling petals off dandylion head. Cheers, Tony.

Yea it was nice here. I was wanting to do a 5 gall batch but after 3 hrs of sitting and clipping one after another after another after another after another after another after another after another after another ect. I thought what if you dont like it stupid ! So after about 36 cups of petals i said screw it !

DO any of you make wine leaving just the flower base on the flower ? I cant see anyone clipping each head........

Freeze them and when you get enough start your batch. Just make sure you trim them before you freeze them. I just put them in a ziplock bag, freeze, pick more, freeze, etc.

BOB

If you don't clip the base you will end up with a very bitter wine. I added some orange and some pineapple conc to mine and backsweetened a little. It turned out rather nice. most people that have tried it didn't expect it to be sweet ( nice surprise).

BOB

Ive heard some use the nub like you said and although I hated sitting there clipping all the petals off it I did it! I made mine with honey and although it tasted really good I sweetened with honey and it cleared really nice it ended up getting whispy in the bottle. It was either a slightly expired sorbate or maybe I just didnt use enough.

Well were just going to try the 3 gallons for now. Maybe later well pick some more and ill clip and freeze them. That way i could make a batch this winter or earlier if its something that we like !

Go to the recipe section of this website and you will find a dandelion wine recipe that was published in Wine Makers magazine that uses the whole flower heads.

Seperate all the petals from the green material, and just use the petals...i know its time consuming, but doing your due-dilligence up front makes for an easier time down the line, and will let your dandelion wine smooth out quicker. Remember that your going to need to age this wine for a minimum of 1.5 years for it to start to chill out, and be drinkable (by drinkable i mean, more than a shot glass at a time)

hahaha. Its sitting in a carboy now. I forgot to add the raisins will that matter in the end ? Might just make this wine more "thin" ? Would adding some tannin help with this ?

Latest posts

Back