D47

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In making a mead that started at 1.114 sg I believe d47 is a 14% yeast. Does that mean that it will die off and the mead won't go below 1.007ish or it still can? I assume ill need to take readings looking for it to be stable?

The published limit of a yeast is an average from a laboratory setting. Your actual results can be higher or lower. If the fermentation stops where you expect it, I'd still bulk age at least 6 months to help ensure it's really done. @Rice_Guy reports that aging 9+ months starves the yeast, and he does not get a renewed fermentation.

You can add sorbate and k-meta to ensure the fermentation does not restart.

Note that members have step fed EC-1118 (tolerance 18%) up to 21%.

The published limit of a yeast is an average from a laboratory setting. Your actual results can be higher or lower. If the fermentation stops where you expect it, I'd still bulk age at least 6 months to help ensure it's really done. @Rice_Guy reports that aging 9+ months starves the yeast, and he does not get a renewed fermentation.

You can add sorbate and k-meta to ensure the fermentation does not restart.

Note that members have step fed EC-1118 (tolerance 18%) up to 21%.
I've been step feeding this fermo so i guess ill see.

Mead? there is a slug of non-fermentable sugar in all honey so “normal” number with sucrose/ glucose/ fructose don’t apply. It might wind up at 1.007 and maybe not, we all monitor to see when readings are stable. ,,,, A healthy mead has several nutrient additions as Fermaid O and Fermaid K, we’re you adding honey (sugar) to step feed or nitrogen? I hope you were doing nitrogen since a single DAP feeding probably will crash. We have other variables as a slower ferment is less likely to get stuck and organic nitrogen is less likely to get stuck.

Mead? there is a slug of non-fermentable sugar in all honey so “normal” number with sucrose/ glucose/ fructose don’t apply. It might wind up at 1.007 and maybe not, we all monitor to see when readings are stable. ,,,, A healthy mead has several nutrient additions as Fermaid O and Fermaid K, we’re you adding honey (sugar) to step feed or nitrogen? I hope you were doing nitrogen since a single DAP feeding probably will crash. We have other variables as a slower ferment is less likely to get stuck and organic nitrogen is less likely to get stuck.
I pitched yeast with fermaid and have be step feeding with ferm-0.

I've had D47 get to 14.8% in an faux ice cider I did -- and No nutrients were ever added...just 100% AJ & FAJC.

Good luck & Cheers!

Latest posts

Back