WineXpert Crushendo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about just lining the primary with a 5 gallon paint strainging bag? Yes, you will have the bottom 1/2 of the primary not covered, but the skins should still be loose enough to float about and give up their goodness. Then, before racking, pick up the sides of the straining bag, and drain. THEN rack to the carboy. I typically do that will my grape packs. I buy the big paint straining bags at Home Depot. You could even make your own with a fine mesh material and a serger to sew up the sides so that you could line your primary fully.

Awesome idea Dean thanks for sharing that...and Happy B-Day!
smiley32.gif

Wow.. Thanks so much for all your help..
This is my first Crushendo kit (syrah)

Just got my supertuscan today...

Will def use the tutorial you provided..

Thanks again for all your helpl

Ok I am at stage 3.. Since I have to top up this stage and have alot of space.. Would it be ok to go buy a bottle of syrah and top up with that and water.. The directions say water but like I said I have alot of space to fill and dont want ruin the flavor

SIXTO said:
Ok I am at stage 3.. Since I have to top up this stage and have alot of space.. Would it be ok to go buy a bottle of syrah and top up with that and water.. The directions say water but like I said I have alot of space to fill and dont want ruin the flavor

If I remember correct, you can use up to one liter of water. The rest should be with a "like" type wine. Any further topping up should use wine.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Dean said:
What about just lining the primary with a 5 gallon paint strainging bag?

Dean, do you have trouble stirring using this method? I canimagine how using the drill may cause issues. ???

I don't stir with a drill when the bag is in place. First, mix the juice and water with a drill, add teh sanitized bag, then add your grape pack, and carefully stir with your spoon for a few minutes. Then take your SG, and pitch the yeast. Stir gently as the instructions state to once or twice a day.

Remove the bag, squeeze, and then transfer to carboy.

wade said:
Or you could rack to 5 gallon carboy.

You are correct Wade! I would rather rack down to a smaller carboy (plus a couple smaller bottles) than take the chance of diluting my wine with anything. Just a personal decision however.

Latest posts

Back