WineXpert Crushendo Gravity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MManx

Junior
Reaction score
smiley17.gif
<---newbie here.
New but making my seventh kit in half as many weeks. Yesterday I started a Crushendo kit, the S. Ynez Syrah. After meticulously following the instructions as always, the gravity came up short at 1.090 instead of the minimum of 1.092. Is this something to worry about?

Welcome MManx,

The lower reading could be a combination of how you read the hydrometer and temperature since any temp higher than 60 degrees will give you a slightly lower reading. This slight difference is nothing at all to worry about.

Welcome MManx, Sg's will vary slightly like this from kit to kit but
nothing to worry about at all. Not to mention that everyones measuring
cup isnt calibrated by the Department of Weights and measures so
someone could be adding a little more water each time and get a lower
Sg and the next could be adding less water and getting a higher SG. Did
you adjust you hydrometer reading to the temp as a hydrometer is meant
to be read at 60*. Anything warmer or colder and you have to adjust to
the sheet given to you with the hydromer. In water @ 60* a hydrometer
should read 1.000.

Edited by: wade

It looks like this kit is going to be my problem child. After just 6 days, I notice the fermentation had almost stopped so I took a gravity and started my plan for racking (a little more complicated that ususal). Much to my suprise, the SG was 1.090. I am going to go ahead and rack it but not sure if this kit is in trouble. It fermented right next to a Selection estate Lodi Ranch 11 Cab that wasright in the target range

Did you make a mistake listing the current SG? You have it as the same as the beginning SG, it which case it hasn't done anything yet. Check it again and let us know what it is currently running.
smiley1.gif

From my experience it is not uncommon and more of the norm for a Crushendo to be completely fermented in 6-7 days.

Oops--that was a type, the current SG is 0.995. That was last night. I will check it again today but expect it to be stable.

Masta--thanks for the comforting message.

If you racked at .995, you could have done it sooner, but don't worry, it will be just fine. There was still plenty of C02 to protect it after racking. Just continue on at this point following the directions and it will be great!

Latest posts

Back