Crash course on growing grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you have growth coming from the ground after a freeze, let it all grow or it will indeed become overly vigorous trying to make up for lost time. That will help with winter hardiness which you need in PA. If you trim off all the sideshoots, that is alright as it will help get it longer faster, howver don't take off the lateral shoots from the cordons. You want those for future spurs. If you trim them all off, you will get some blind nodes and then improper spur placement later.

After thought or something I remembered late, of them dormant clippings I had 11 Concord and only one starter got green growth and I let it get too dry so it probly lost. I remember someone else posting having problems with concord starting, are they known for being that hard to start.

I don't know. My neighbor transplanted 6 Concords from Mass. a couple of years ago. He didn't seem to have a problem getting them started. He is having a time with them this year though. He cut them back to a stump last year when they went dormant. They are growing, but he does not have a single grape on them. I think he almost killed them by cutting them back so much.

We added a new "water" feature today, it shoots beautiful pink foam in the air and the only thing you can do is laugh until it stops.

image-2442762719.jpg

I'm finally getting some growth from them table grapes, I hadn't realized how much of the plant was hanging but it's clear after I added a stick to start training them to go vertical, I put that stick in last night and this morning the plant has already wrapped a thing around the stick and has a good hold on it. I just used some sticks I got from cutting down the bushes but where do you guys find the bamboo shoots to use for first year until the permanent trellis is in, I looked at lowes homedepot and Walmart, are they a greenhouse supply item?

image-2851702246.jpg

See the holes in the lower leaves, ya I had someone mow and I'm all but 100% sure that the holes were caused by the mower blowing straw bits thru the leaves. They all happened the exact same day the yard got mowed and I had to remove mower clippings from around all the plants.

Looks good!! I just used the bamboo shoots that Ison's sent with the vines I ordered. You can also use the plastic coated metal rods from Lowes. They are in the outdoor side of Lowes. I can't remember what they are actually, but I know they are used for staking veggies.

Ask and you shall receive.
image-2669866626.jpg

And ya know that saying about teach a man to fish.

image-2390611097.jpg
Thats 3 types of bamboo, well I'm calling it bamboo. For some reason I'm going to try and propagate some. I just think bamboo could be ultra useful if/when you have to find your own building supplies, I know you doomsdayers feel me on that one.

Bamboo can be very useful. The only problem is that if you get tired of and try to get rid of it it is almost impossible. Better make sure that you get all the roots out.

This property will be completely trashed with perennials when I'm done. Thanks for the tip tatud, FiL hacks them down every year and they explode back and he said they try and spread like fire too, I'll have to blacktop this place to kill off all the weeds I'm planting.

A friend of mine tried to dig his up. He thought he got it all, but they have made a come back on him. You're welcome. I don't know much, but I try to help where I can.

Plant it in pots, then bury the pots, leaving 4-6 inches sticking out above the ground. I've read that this can contain the bamboo. Not sure I buy it; but it was on the internet, so it must be true, right? :h

Last edited:
I believe one of the 3 of these is called Giant Cane and is not a bamboo at all but does grows and spreads the same, looks a lot like corn. So now I'm attempting to identify the other 2.

I cut all 3 green stalks into 2 node piece and put them in a bucket full of water, filled the top open node with water and gave the leaves a good misting, they looked better after just a couple hours.

Back