Cranberry fermention question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I successfully fermented fresh cranberry wine w a ph of 3.0. I expected lower ph but after adding water to the crushed berries I left it as is. Yeast was R2 and opti white. Took a day and a half to get going made it through w the addition of fermax halfway.
I've never backsweatened cranberry so after the sorbate what can I use to backsweaten? Obviously a simple syrup w 1-1 sugar water but I want to taste cranberries not sugar. Would using a frozen cranberry juice concentrate work to backsweaten? At what dose for 5 gallons if anyone has done this before?

How many pounds per gallon of Cranberries did you use? The Cranberry juice won't sweeten it very much and that probably is sweetened with corn syrup. IMO, all Cranberry wine should be sweetened. The sweetness brings out the flavor of the berries and hides some of the bitterness if too many berries are used I usually shoot for a final SG of around 1.08 - 1.01. I've been making Cranberry wine for 49 years, with the first 15 adding too much sugar at the start, fermenting til the alcohol killed the yeast and had whatever for residual sugar. Now I shoot for 14% ABV.

How many pounds per gallon of Cranberries did you use? The Cranberry juice won't sweeten it very much and that probably is sweetened with corn syrup. IMO, all Cranberry wine should be sweetened. The sweetness brings out the flavor of the berries and hides some of the bitterness if too many berries are used I usually shoot for a final SG of around 1.08 - 1.01. I've been making Cranberry wine for 49 years, with the first 15 adding too much sugar at the start, fermenting til the alcohol killed the yeast and had whatever for residual sugar. Now I shoot for 14% ABV.
Hi Vinobeau, it was between 25-30lbs of berries and 25 lbs sugar. I dissolved the sugar in boiling water 10 gallons. After racking I have 11 gallons. Starting sg was around 1.87. I fermented to dry, like a grape wine and planned on backsweetening. I agree it needs sugar for balance but I don't want to overdue it and come out w kool-aid.

Yes my starting sg was 1.87. It finished around 0.994.
The 1.08 was from @Vinobeau comment.

I am pretty certain your initial SG wasn't 1.87. I haven't seen a hydrometer that goes that high, I'm sure they exist, but most normal ones don't. In addition, your abv would be something like 125%. It can't be. I bet you really mean it started at 1.087, which is in the range of what is normal and gives about 12% abv

I am pretty certain your initial SG wasn't 1.87. I haven't seen a hydrometer that goes that high, I'm sure they exist, but most normal ones don't. In addition, your abv would be something like 125%. It can't be. I bet you really mean it started at 1.087, which is in the range of what is normal and gives about 12% abv
Yes your are correct. But just think how awesome abv of 125% would be for making hand sanitizers. Lol

For reference, the SG of honey is just slightly north of 1.4

Latest posts

Back