Costco Paklab barolo playing around

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDesCotes

Reaction score
Costco had the two pack of barolo + Cabernet sauv on sale for $40! I had to pick it up even knowing that it is generally considered a poor quality wine.

I picked it up mainly to try experimenting with and to have as a day-to-day wine while my more expensive kits (and good dragon bloods) get some age.

I've done some reading up on modifications and was wondering what others would do?

I personally love the dry/oaky/tannin flavors of a good Barolo so I don't want to change the flavor of that bag too much but am wide open to experiment with the Cabernet.

what I really want to do is improve the flavor and body to make them drinkable soon.

Here is what I was planning:

Barolo:
8 bananas (ripe, cut, frozen then thawed)
2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp tannin
Raisins (will this change the flavors?)
1 package French oak cubes to primary

Cabernet:
3lb frozen strawberry
8 bananas
2tsp pectic enzyme
1tsp tannin
Raisins
Anything else people suggest!

My only suggestion on the Barolo is to save the cubes for secondary and use chips in the primary. Cubes won't have nearly enough contact in the primary to release their goodness.

As for the Cab, I might replace the raisins with zante currants. That would add some mouthfeel without the 'raisiny' flavor.

I have not had good success with these kits but I have not made all the tweaks you are making. They are fun to experiment with though. Keep us posted.

I have tried to mess withthe Barolo as well, and had limited success. It needs body - lots of it so I have added about 10 lbs of Sangiovese pomace from my grape pressing. They helped give it some depth. Oak cubes in secondary is good, and lots of time in the final carboy - I let mine stay there about 1 yr and it was OK.
You get what you pay for.
Ric
Wine Time Factory

I added 6 lbs of thawed merlot must to a cheap paklab cab and I am very happy with the results. Does not compare to big kits, but the must (along with some oak and tannin) brought it to the level of a decent mid range kit.

I just made this kit, and it is my second kit!

I just bottled it and it tastes great now! I can only imagine what it will taste like in time.

All I did was make it to 5 gallons and added toasted oak cubes to the secondary.

I just bottled it and it tastes great now! I can only imagine what it will taste like in time.

All I did was make it to 5 gallons and added toasted oak cubes to the secondary.

How long did you have it in secondary?

Is this the Barolo or the Cab. I am getting ready to start a Vino Italiano Barolo and am going to make it to 5 gallons and add raisins and oak, maybe some tannin. Hope it is at least good for a house wine.

I went to peruse the bulk barn today and saw that dried cranberries were on sale for 88 cents per 100g! I picked up a kilo for using with my sauv. These low end kits are sure going to be fun!!!

Question though: will cranberries add body, or should I still add banana?

JDesCotes I don't think you would get much from adding the cranberries but never used them so I cant really say, just a thought but if you really want to play well with these kits get some tannin rich and check out Joes wine on this forum he seems to be the king of tweaks and will guide you in the right direction Good luck and happy wine making:b keep us posted please

Hi,

This is a review I found for the Vino Italiano Barolo Wine Kit. I followed the instructions on that site and it came out just wonderful.

To my dismay, however, I looked to Amazon to order another, since I loved it so much, and it would appear that it is not being made anymore :(

Where are you guys getting the Paklab kits from? In the US, I don't see them at Costco...

They are one an the same. At least the contact phone # is the same as the kits I received from Amazon.. One Paklab and one Vino Italiano. And they both turned out pretty good

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making
Looking to do a stags leap merlot or barossa valley Shiraz . Any input on these kits?

I have made at least 5 of these kits. Here are a few of the tweaks

1. 3 lb frozen blackberries - bagged
3/4 cup Med Oak plus
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp Peptic Enzyme
5 gal batch

2. 3 lb sugar
2 tsp peptic enzyme
gal bag frozen Marquette skins (4 lb)
3/4 cup med oak plus
6 gal batch (more sugar)

3. 1 cup Sugar
1 cup oak plus medium boiled in 1/2 cup water- all added
1/2 tsp peptic enzyme
2.5 kg Shiraz grape pack
5 gal batch

These tweaks all yielded a very good wine.

I tried a batch with wild grapes added and it really STINKS, literally.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back