correct process to stabilise and bottle my plum wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aidan

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
My first plum wine has been sitting in carboy for about 4 or 5 months now, so I need to plan on getting it bottled. I've been told to add potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate and an f-pack or something to backsweeten it. So I'm wondering if I should do all this at the same time or if I need to leave time between each of those things. Here's my questions:

1. Which do I add first the meta or the sorbate or do I add them together?
  2. Do I need to hydrate them before adding?
  3. Can I back-sweeten at same time or do I need to wait some time for the chemicals to work?
  4. After I back-sweeten should I bottle right away or leave for some more time?
  5. Do I need fining agent and time for clarification after back-sweetening?
  6. And if fining is recomended, can I use gelatin for fining (I'm a beer brewer and gelatin is what I use for fining so I have it on hand).

1. I usually pull a sample of the wine im stabilizing, add the measured amount of sulfite & sorbate to the sample - stir thoroughly - then add the sample back to the wine.

2. They kind of hydrate in the sample, i make sure they're not just sitting at the bottom of the sample by giving it a minute to slow down from my stirring then check the bottom.. When its all stirred in - keep your face away from above the sample while your stirring, the kmeta will be strong - add the sample to the wine

3. I've seen people here say they back sweeten at the same time but i personally wait a week to make sure things are integrated.

4. After you backsweeten, you want to wait as sometimes f-packs will cause more sediment to drop just from the solids in the f-pack itself

5. Time, indeed.. Clarifying agents are up to the individual winemaker & the wine in question

6. I have gelatin myself, but i havent used any clarifying agents in my winemaking yet so someone else might have a better clue on this one

I agree with Deezil, no need to get in any hurry. I have never used gelatin, I would recommend super clear or sparkolloid a couple of weeks after your F-pack.

Thanks guys. In beer-making a technique to assist with clarification is to 'cold crash' (chill carboy in cold fridge for 4 or 5 days). Is this technique also used to help clarify wine?

I just bottled my plum and I would make a suggestion. I am no expert but here was my mistake. I used prune juice as a flavor pack. It is oxidized already and turned my pretty purple wine to a brownish color. It does taste good but I wished I had used some plum jam I had in the freezer instead. I have also seen plum syrups in Asian stores since also.

I just bottled my plum and I would make a suggestion. I am no expert but here was my mistake. I used prune juice as a flavor pack. It is oxidized already and turned my pretty purple wine to a brownish color. It does taste good but I wished I had used some plum jam I had in the freezer instead. I have also seen plum syrups in Asian stores since also.
I picked up a bottle of fruit juice concentrate which I plan to use - blackcurrant and boysenberry sweetened with concentrated pear juice. Do you think that would be ok or would the other fruits muck with the flavour too much? Alternatively I could just make a sugar syrup and keep the natural flavours intact.

I think it would make an interesting combination of flavors. You want to reduce it down to syrup on the stove before adding it. Don't add it before you stabilize though.

My plum always clears slow. Even when I tried clarifying agents. No worries, in time it has always cleared. Once it took almost 8 months

I think it would make an interesting combination of flavors. You want to reduce it down to syrup on the stove before adding it. Don't add it before you stabilize though.
I figured that since it is already concentrated (1 litre makes 3 litres) I wouldn't need to reduce it further. Am I wrong on that?

It is a personal preference thing. I like to concentrate it more so it doesn't dilute my ABV. If you think there is too much alcohol flavor go with out concentrating it more. I think you will enjoy it either way, it shouldnt dilute 6 gallons by much.

Got her bottled tonight. I've had a few glasses and I'm pretty impressed with my first effort. I went with a little back-sweetening from fruit cordial and a little sugar, it definately helped to round it out a bit. More in my latest blog post: http://beerandgarden.com/2012/06/plum-wine-bottled/

It's more than drinkable right now. What will 6 months of aging do for it?

Latest posts

Back