Corn wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
I've made 3 batches now & they've all acted the same. Tried to start them out around 1.150 to push the limits of the 1118 yeast. All three have taken 2-3 weeks to stop fermenting & have never reached 1.00. I started the last at 1.16 & I think it's done, but the sg is at 1.030. Tastes strong like an 18%. But y are my numbers off? These three batches act nothing like wine. Is there any way the starches are breaking down or just hanging out affecting the specific gravity / hydrometer?

Thanks. Brian

you should try turbo yeast. it works at high alcohol contends......search for it on the net.

Lol. Yes, corn mash / wash. But that's illegal due to the government not getting their tax dollars. So, I'll call it corn wine.

I've actually read bad reviews on Turbo yeast giving a final distilled product a off flavor. That is for someone that planned on distilling the end product.

Any thoughts on the starches breaking down or messing with my SG readings?

Maybe I'm just using a bogus abv calculation. The online calculator I used gave me 18 % with a starting sg of 1.16, ending .995. ?? I'm stalling at 1.03.

Thanks

Charlie...my calculator says if OG is 1.160 (always measure out to .000) and you ferment to 1.000 you have a potential ACV of 21% @60F. If you have a FG of 1.030 at 60F you end up with ACV around 17.6%, which would be on target for EC-1118 which can push 18% +/-. I would hazard that if you rack and then allow this some more time you may drop a few more points, keyword: may.

Last edited:
Would you not be better off to ferment to a dry 16% than dealing with residual sugars left to burn and put bad flavors into your 'corn wine? I would target a starting sg of about 1.100 as the ferment hits about the half way point I would add sugar and some nutrient this will trick EC-1118 into eating the added sugar quickly with a large active population and you could hit 18%+ with out the residual sugar to burn. If you start a yeast in a high sg environment many times you actually weaken the yeast cells and they give up prematurely. Turbo yeasts are in most cases as there are a few that are not EC-1118 with a large amount of nutrient and energiser added.

If you search artisan distiller , or home distillation, you can find mountains of info... although most of those guys go for lower abv to start claiming better end product.. around 10% - 12% seems to be the norm.

Latest posts

Back