Corks Popping Up! Help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tip, I have size 8's lying around and they would not fit in the bottles so I was forced to use a #7. At this point I believe there is a small amount of CO2 in the bottles and they were pushed up due to lack of headspace. I don't think I'll sweat it until I see one explode. I have about 300 crown caps that would relieve the headspace situation if necessary. Do crown caps preserve wine well?

I have in past just taken a razer knife and cut the tops off, unless you are planing long storage. Being fairly new, I bet it will all be shared and drank fairly fast

I don't think I'll sweat it until I see one explode.

I haven't had any explode myself, but have the impression it could be fairly dangerous if anyone is in the area. We would hate for any updates on this thread to be about someone getting hurt.

I have in past just taken a razer knife and cut the tops off, unless you are planing long storage. Being fairly new, I bet it will all be shared and drank fairly fast

That's an excellent idea thanks! This way it will have sufficient headspace and I won't have to worry about the shrink wrap looking bad when the corks start rising again.

corks fly before bottle explod. They made big messes and stink up house If you are standing with one aimed at head it would hurt

corks fly before bottle explode. They made big messes and stink up house If you are standing with one aimed at head it would hurt

If you have shrink wraps on the bottles will sometimes go as sometimes the wraps can hold the corks in enough. How do I know! :slp

What are you using to install these corks? 7's are not the correct size of r those bottles. I use #9's on all my bottles including 175's and 375's but use a floor corker, If you are using a hand smack corker please invest in a better corker like at least a dble lever hand corker but if I were you Id minimally get a Portuguese floor corker but the best is the Italian floor corker. that said Ive been using the Port. now for 10 years and it still works great but may not work on some synthetic corks as some are very hard while others more pliable. What are you using to fill your bottles as those bottling wands work very well at leaving the perfect amount of headspace in your bottles every time and they are cheap. Ive used my $4.00 wand for 9 years before getting the Boun Vino auto filler.

Latest posts

Back