Corks, did I use the wrong size?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinoDave

Reaction score
I made the Eclipse Cabernet 9 months ago and The Eclipse Pinot Noir 6 months ago. I used the size 8 cork and am now reading I should have used the size 9 cork if I plan on storing 2 years +. Is this something I should worry about?? Wondering if I should go ahead and maybe Wax the tops of the bottles now to reduce oxygen getting into the bottle. Any thoughts would be appreciated. These 2 wines are aging great, really smoothing our now.

I think it depends on you storing conditions and how fast you will drink or gift it. Perhaps you could recork the bottles you plan on aging for a couple years and leave the others alone.

I didn’t know you could recork wine???? That’s a option????

My two bits - leave your wine be. Chances are good that it'll be gone long before your cork quality becomes an issue. But, remember, you're going to be making more wine in another month or two (always maintain a good flow of wine making to match your wine consumption). From here on out, switch to something that allows for longer aging.

Back