Corking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For both whites and reds, the cork should be dry if possible.

Place the corks in a bucket. In the center of the bucket, place an open jar of about 2 cups of Kmeta solution (3 tblsp to one gallon of water). Seal up the bucket for a couple hours. When you open the bucket, you will have sanitized, dry corks.

You will hear this bucket referred to as - a corkador.

Never boil the corks.

As far as wet, the second best option for a home wine maker is to put the corks in a colander, pour Kmeta solution over them. Shake them well; cover them and let them dry or nearly dry.

The solution is not in contact with the corks for long, just enough to wet them.

I gave up on involved cork sanitizing. I just make a strong k meta solution in a spray bottle and spritz the cork before placing it in my floor corker and pushing it home. I have not had a problem. Your mileage may vary.

BTW, some suppliers are so confident of their packaging that they say you never need to do anything to their corks when you are opening a sealed bag for use. I have not had a problem by following that instruction, but perhaps I trust too much. Since I went to the spray bottle, I spritz every cork now just because it's there on the bottling line.

After I store a partial bag (I always put the folded-over bag into a ziplock bag), I will spritz them with k meta before use.

tumblr_m9w5c9ZnpR1r10w04.gif

Does the cork expand when you add the solution? Thanks for your help

Shuster, to be clear the corkidor technique Robie described does not bring the cork into contact with K-meta. Instead, the corks are loose in a bucket together with a jar / bowl of K-meta. As the K-meta evaporates the SO2 given off permeates the cork. I now follow this up with placing the corks in Star San for 3-4 minutes to make them easier going into bottle.

Tony P.

For both whites and reds, the cork should be dry if possible.

Place the corks in a bucket. In the center of the bucket, place an open jar of about 2 cups of Kmeta solution (3 tblsp to one gallon of water). Seal up the bucket for a couple hours. When you open the bucket, you will have sanitized, dry corks.

You will hear this bucket referred to as - a corkador.

Never boil the corks.

As far as wet, the second best option for a home wine maker is to put the corks in a colander, pour Kmeta solution over them. Shake them well; cover them and let them dry or nearly dry.

Should these be food grade buckets? I'm have trouble finding them. What size do you use for a corkador if you plan to keep 100 corks in there with some tubing? Do they just have a snap top lid like the fermentor, or do you look for something else? Is a pint sized canning jar with about a cup of the k-meta (3TBLS/gal) good?

If you do this for your tubing hydrometer, wine thief, and testing cylinder, do you just pull them out and use? then clean and spray with k-meta before putting them back in the bucktet? Or do you clean these gain before use.

Watch what you put in there. I put some pyrex type measuring containers in one and all the red markings came off. Also lost a mesh screener the same way it rusted.

I am basically lazy. I take my 30 corks put them in a gallon ziplock bag with 1/2 cup or so of k-meta, shake and drain. Then a quick rinse with water, drain and use them immediatley.

500 bottles later no problem

Back