"Cool and dark"...what's the definition?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val-the-Brew-Gal

Magickal Cat Wines
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a huge newbie question so I apologize in advance! Many of the books I have read, especially ones with recipes, say to age/bulk condition someplace "cool and dark". I got the dark part :h but what is the temperature range that defines "cool"?

Thanks!
Val

Well . . . typically ideal cellar conditions are 55°F. But I think it is more important that the temperature is constant. It is the fluctuation in temperatures that causes pressure changes in the bottle and leads to cork failure and increased oxidation through respiration of air through the cork.

Dark - without light. Light triggers chemical reactions that lead to degradation of the wine over time. So, as dark as possible is best.

Thanks for the replies! I want to use my basement storeroom were the temperature is a pretty constant 55 degrees...just wanted to make sure that that wasn't too cool for aging/conditioning/clearing purposes.

...and that's not even funny. I have seen wine stored above the refrigerator. I also agree the most important factor is constant temperature. Keep it away from any direct sunlight and HAVC duct work.

Oh oh... so I should find somewhere else in my tiny house to place my 9-bottle rack that holds the soon-to-be-enjoyed bottles? Top of the fridge is about the only place there's room... but the bottles never stay there for more than a couple weeks, is that OK?

Thanks for the replies! I want to use my basement storeroom were the temperature is a pretty constant 55 degrees...just wanted to make sure that that wasn't too cool for aging/conditioning/clearing purposes.

Aging and conditioning? Perfect!

Clearing? That requires the wine to be fully degassed. Which is easiest to accomplish when the wine is in the low to mid 70'sF.

Sometimes 55 degrees can be too cool if you're trying to clear a cloudy wine. If that happens, you can move it to a warmer area for a couple weeks while it clears, then return it to cool storage.

Sorry I was thinking this was for bottle storage, not bulk aging. All the advice is good. Actually sometimes cold helps clearing and sometimes it doesn't. Natural degassing is slower at colder temp and that may inhibit clearing. I wouldn't worry so much about small fluctuations in temperature with a young wine. Excessive heat is a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

So is the advice then to degas at my ferment temp when fermentation is done, then move it to the 55 degree storeroom for aging and conditioning? Or degas and allow to clear before moving to cooler temps?

GreginND...I was born in Bismarck and lived in the tiny town of Mercer until I was 12. Coming back to visit family in about 10 days!

Yes, I would degas or let it sit for a while at room temp to degas before going colder. Often it's the gas that keeps the particles in suspension.

If you happen to be passing through fargo let me know. We can do some tasting.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

So is the advice then to degas at my ferment temp when fermentation is done, then move it to the 55 degree storeroom for aging and conditioning? Or degas and allow to clear before moving to cooler temps?

GreginND...I was born in Bismarck and lived in the tiny town of Mercer until I was 12. Coming back to visit family in about 10 days!

In general, you'd want your wine at "fermentation temp" until it is clear and you are ready to bulk age/bottle. One exception being if you are cold stabilizing. Others could be cool ferments, etc.

Val--It can take quite some time to fully degass a wine. I don't recommend manual degassing for fruit or grape wines that are not early drinking wines. I agree with what Greg said--that the cool temps can keep the CO2 from coming off and holds the sediment in suspension. Allow the wine to sit in a bit warmer environment. All our wine just sits in carboys on carts in the winery in normal room temp. They degass and clear by themselves. Nonetheless, natural degassing can take many months, but that's OK because they need to bulk age, anyway. You should allow all your wines to age for no less than 1 year. You'll be amazed how that year in bulk aging not only improves clarity, but also improves flavor because offending esters, bittnerness, etc. will fall free from the wine---but only if you give it enough time!

And if you are backsweetening, your wines need that bulk aging time because you can't sorbate cloudy wine and expect it to prevent a refermentation because there are far too many yeast cells present in the wine. The rule on sorbate is--only sorbate clear wine where the bulk of the yeast cells have been racked off.

Awesome information, everyone! I really appreciate it. So can I inject another question in regards to degassing? I have a Skeeter Pee that I just started and it is supposed to be manually degassed. The whole process freaks a newbie like me out because all that has stuck in my head from the books I have read is the big word "oxidation"! I don't have a vacuum setup so will be stirring to degas...isn't this going to introduce oxygen?

Greg...we are coming from Washington State and the farthest we are going is probably Bismarck-Mandan. My sister is in Minot so that's mainly where we will be :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back