Convert 1 gal to 5 gal. help??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedneckBrew

Junior
Reaction score
Ok i just bought a wine equipment kit and it came with recipe book. Me and my fiance was looking thru it and decided on this recipe but all 1gal recipe.

14-16lbs apples or 1 gal of juice
1lb sugar
1 1/2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp tannin
1 tsp nutrient
1 campden tablet, crushed
1 pkg of champ. yeast
later: 1 tsp of anti-oxidant

How do i got about making it 5 gal recipe? multiply everything by 5? do i really need 80lbs of apples if i do?

Ok i just bought a wine equipment kit and it came with recipe book. Me and my fiance was looking thru it and decided on this recipe but all 1gal recipe.

14-16lbs apples or 1 gal of juice
1lb sugar
1 1/2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp tannin
1 tsp nutrient
1 campden tablet, crushed
1 pkg of champ. yeast
later: 1 tsp of anti-oxidant

How do i got about making it 5 gal recipe? multiply everything by 5? do i really need 80lbs of apples if i do?

No I won't think you would need 80# of apples, look on your bottles of chemicals, most will tell you how much for a 5 gallon batch, the campden you will need 5.

As far as the apples go, you do need enough to get 5g of juice. You should not dilute the apple juice.

You only need one packet of yeast for five gallons. Definitely don't dilute apple juice.

Start out with 6 gallons so in the end you have 5 gallons to age.

Ok was plannin on using 15# of apples ... but i dont have a juicer or press so i was going to chop them and maybe boil them in 3 gal of water? Then dilute that with a 3 gal of apple juice to make 6gallonz

Ok was plannin on using 15# of apples ... but i dont have a juicer or press so i was going to chop them and maybe boil them in 3 gal of water? Then dilute that with a 3 gal of apple juice to make 6gallonz

freeze them for about a week, take them our of the freeze, add pectic enzyme, mashed them the best way you can, a potato masher would be a big help, put them in bag and mash, squeaze them for a couple of days, you should get a lot of juice, 15# is no where near enough for a 6g batch, I would say 30#, and if you have to add water, no more than a gallon.

Soooo much easier to use juice!

Just make sure it has no preseratives. Mott's is available in gallons at Wal-Mart and other stores cheap, has good color, and the stuff I used has no preservatives. Indian Summer is a good apple juice cider often found in season in the produce department at Kroger, paler than Mott's.

If you are just starting out, I'd try a juice wine first, then move on to fruit if you'd like. When you do fruit, find the sourest tasting apples you can get.

freeze them for about a week, take them our of the freeze, add pectic enzyme, mashed them the best way you can, a potato masher would be a big help, put them in bag and mash, squeaze them for a couple of days, you should get a lot of juice, 15# is no where near enough for a 6g batch, I would say 30#, and if you have to add water, no more than a gallon.

I am already learning things here, I have used the freezer to cold ******* but never thought to use it to make fruit easier to juice.

I am already learning things here, I have used the freezer to cold ******* but never thought to use it to make fruit easier to juice.

Never done that. People I know who did have reported varying results. If you get a sec, please PM me yours.

Background:
I helped a friend of mine make fresh cider last fall at his orchard. If I recall correctly, 4- 40 lb boxes of apples made about 13 gallons of cider.

His machine has a wash tank, elevator, chopper, and hydraulic press.

111107ciderpress.jpg

Calculations:
As I recall, 4 boxes of apples at about 40 lb each (160 lbs) made about 13 gallons of cider. Assuming cider is the same density as water (8.34 lbs/gallon), that's about 108 lbs of juice.

108/160 = .67 juice to apples ratio (67% recovery of juice)

So, to make the suggested 6 gallons (50 lbs) of juice to start with, and assuming you can replicate the 67% efficiency, you'll need 74 lbs of apples.

Never done that. People I know who did have reported varying results. If you get a sec, please PM me yours.
It has some other issues concentrating the poisons read up on it

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Root but I had to delete your link, incase you guys haven't noticed but some of your words were deleted out in your posts, that is because we can not discuss certain methods when making certain things.

Root that is why I deleted your link. Let's just keep the thread about winemaking.

sorry I will keep it to just fermenting . I just wanted to keep precaution about the fact it is illegal and has other negative aspects that have to be considered . My other project was done by a legal permit as experimental with due caution.

On topic my friend Craig is here and since the Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) is ripening over an extended period and the squirrels are having a feast we are likely going to pick and freeze some of the ripe Japanese plums till they all get to optimum.

I have not used many additives in the past and also want to understand what they all do and how they may or may not be linear in proportion.

I will follow the forum's rules, but I just want to clear this up, for the record: What we discussed is not illegal under U.S. law.

I will follow the forum's rules, but I just want to clear this up, for the record: What we discussed is not illegal under U.S. law.

No you are not completely right, you are required to have a license and some states it is just illegal, period. Texas is one of those states and our server is housed in Texas.

No you are not completely right, you are required to have a license and some states it is just illegal, period. Texas is one of those states and our server is housed in Texas.

I have reason to know about the federal law. State law is a different matter. I understand about the server being in Texas. Nuff said.

Back