Conditions after bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

How can I keep my red wine the best way after bottling , as I don't have any Cellar ?

Hector

Last edited:
Hi there !

How can I keep my red wine the bast way after bottling , as I don't have any Cellar ?

Hector

Take a spare room and use that for storage and temp control the room

The enemies of wine in storage are temperature, light, vibration and humidity level. Ideally, the temperature should be as close to 55 degrees F as possible, 75% RH, no vibration and no exposure to UV light. It is also important to keep the temperature as stable as possible. Without a cellar, you should try to find a place within your home, e.g. an interior closet, that you can dedicate to the wine and possibly insulate it against changes in temperature in the home.

Ideally, the temperature should be as close to 55 degrees F as possible, 75% RH, no vibration and no exposure to UV light.

1- Why nothing happens to commercial wines which are kept and sold at temperatures above 55F in stores and supermarkets ?!

2- Which role does the Humidity play after bottling ?!

Hector

Last edited:
Ideal conditions are for long term storage. Wines kept on store shelves could possibly be harmed by their storage condition. Wine suppliers who cater to discriminating buyers often store their wines in ideal conditions. If you plan to drink you wine within a year or two, storage conditions become less important. If you don't mind color and flavor degradation, you can store the wine how ever best suits you. Damage to a wine usually only happens over time unless the conditions are extreme. Most wines sold in supermarkets are not being marketed to people who care enough to notice the difference.

As for humidity, it has to do with the corks. Very dry air will tend to sap the moisture out of the cork. Dry corks shrink and allow leakage or air infiltration.

If you plan to drink you wine within a year or two, storage conditions become less important. If you don't mind color and flavor degradation, you can store the wine how ever best suits you. Most wines sold in supermarkets are not being marketed to people who care enough to notice the difference.

I think that I'll drink my wine within a year , because they are just eight bottles ( 600 ml each ) . I can keep them cool using a cooler made of Styrofoam which is filled with cold water . I also use it to control the fermentation temperature .

By the way , I've seen many expensive wines as well as cheap table wines stored and sold in supermarkets .

From 2$ to 200$ a bottle .

Hector

Last edited:
I think that I'll drink my wine within a year , because they are just eight bottles ( 600 ml each ) . I can keep them cool using a cooler made of Styrofoam which is filled with cold water . I also use it to control the fermentation temperature .

By the way , I've seen many expensive wines as well as cheap table wines stored and sold in supermarkets .

From 2$ to 200$ a bottle .

Hector

The hope is that the wine will not stay in the store very long.

If your wine is in 600ml bottles, are the bottles filled to within 2 finger-widths of the bottom of the closure? If so, they should be OK. Otherwise, they won't last very long before oxidizing.

If you can't keep your wine below 60F, just try to keep it as cool as you can. We don't all have a cool basement of expensive wine cooler; we have to work with what we have.

If you are going to drink your wine within a year, at 75F you likely will not have a problem. Much over that temperature and the wine can become flat fairly quickly.

If your wine is in 600ml bottles, are the bottles filled to within 2 finger-widths of the bottom of the closure?
If you are going to drink your wine within a year, at 75F you likely will not have a problem. Much over that temperature and the wine can become flat fairly quickly.

Dear robie ,

Nice to hear from you here , too !

I can fill the bottles to within 1-2 cm of the bottom of the closure and can keep them at around 65F , because by the time of bottling it will be the beginning of the next Summer and my room temperature would be 80-85F then .

Hector

65F is just fine, even for an extended period of time. You have a long time before the next Summer, so you will be fine. Actually, the higher the temperature (within reason, of course), the faster the wine will age, even though it will not age as gracefully. But if you are planning on drinking the wine within a year, the higher temperature may work to your advantage.

Actually, the higher the temperature (within reason, of course), the faster the wine will age, even though it will not age as gracefully. But if you are planning on drinking the wine within a year, the higher temperature may work to your advantage.

I think that you misunderstood the case .

In fact , I'm going to bulk age my red wine for 6 months at 58F before bottling .

So , the bottling time will be the next July and by that time of the year my room temperature

would be 80-85F and I can keep the bottles at 65F .

Hector

Latest posts

Back