concord blush wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my first concord blush wine. I treated it with calcium and backsweetened slightly. It turned out to be very easy to drink with a nice fruity flavor. I had about a half bottle left over after bottling so i got try it. Had no idea concord made such a nice wine.Definitely will get more grapes next year, they are free which is really a good deal.

concord wine.jpg

OK, now don't leave us hangin', how'd ya make it? This year is my second attempt at making Concord wine. I have 18 gallons aging that is now 3 months old and I am ALWAYS looking for advise from anyone who makes Concord.
As I have mentioned before on this site, when I was growing up, my grandfather grew his own grapes and made the best Concord that I have ever tasted. He died back in '73 and of course I had no interest in grape growing or wine making, but now that I'm retired, I find myself stumbling through grape growing and wine making. I have never found a commercially produced Concord that even comes close to what he made. Yes, Concord can make a nice wine, but we have become used to associating with a sugary, syrupy sweet wine.
Last year I made 12 gallons, but I did not get the taste that I was looking for. One batch was a light red, pinkish, blush that had a floral aroma to it, the other was a darker red, but ended up having a bit of a bite to it. I took both to a local enologist and he said that they were both drinkable, but the darker one seemed to be high in alcohol, but like I said, neither had that nice, somewhat dry Concord flavor that I was looking for.
This year, 12 gallons is a real nice deep ruby red in color and the other 6 gallons has a nice color, but is not as dark as the other. The wine in the 6 gallon carboy came from a different grape source, where the grapes were picked earlier than the 12 gallon batch.
Always interested in hearing about Concord wine making. Keep thinking that one of these days, someone out there will have that old Concord recipe that has been passed down over the years.

Ciao

I think the best thing I did was use calcium carbonate pre ferment to get to about ph 3.4. I didn't leave the juice on the skins at all. Added a little tannin Backsweetened to 1010. The guy I got the grapes from was making 30 gallons skins on and when I checked on it with him it was smelling more like rotten grapes rather than fermenting grapes. I don't think he was punching the cap down enough and didn't use kmeta prior to pitching the yeast. So I guess sanitation is really important. I hope to see him soon and
see how it turned out. Oh also the grapes I picked were really ripe. The vines were probably 30 years old and pretty wild.

1.010 that does not sound like that it would be too sweet. Is it more of an off-dry/semi-sweet? I think that 1.010 is where one of mine was at from last year.

Latest posts

Back