Comcast - grrrr.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterZ

Reaction score
Since Comcast took over from Time Warner 6 months ago I have had all kinds of problems. Every night at between 5:30 and 6:15 my access speed drops to 80's modem speed. I have had more cable outages than in the two years before that I lived in this house.

If I don't seem as active, blame it on Comcast.

Thats funny as I just switched from ATT DSL to Comcast Cable and getting the same speed at a much lower price and now I have cable in every room instead of just 2 for that lower price.

I had a big problem with my cable ISP "Cox" when I first switched from the dreaded dial-up about 3 years ago but now it works perfect and is very fast. Their service has been excellent for the past few years and you can actually talk to someone in the US who speaks Englishwhen you call for technical or billing questions.
smiley20.gif

Another thing about ATT was that I had Dish Network which I must say was awesome for the first 4 years and then slowly went down hill. At first it would only lose satellite link up when there was a VERY severe storm which at worst was twice a year and 2 months ago when we finally gave up on them we were losing satellite 2 or 3 times a week which takes about 5 minutes to boot back up.
smiley7.gif

We were lucky to get Verizon Fios and dropped Comcast. Besides better service, the picture quality is incredible.

From the rumblings that I am hearing, AT&T is going in the direction of fiber to the house, supplying phone, high speed internet, and hdtv, all over fiber. There is a lot of fiber going in around here, and Comcast is running ads indicating AT&T is trying to do an end-run by getting the State Legislature to pass a law saying fiber doesn't have to play by the same rules as cable - ie getting permission at the local level.

I hear rumors that high strand count fiber cable is hard to get right now. We are trying to increase bandwidth into the NAVFAC Information Technology Center (NITC) in Port Hueneme, CA and are being held up (so they tell me) by a shortage of fiber optic cable. The only 800 lb gorrila bigger than the US Navy I can think of is AT&T.

I think fiber to the house would be a great thing - more and more computers today are shipping with gigabit ethernet cards standard. Right now, to buy a Cisco router with fiber in and out, and a Cisco switch with fiber in, 2-4 ports gigabit ethernet out (CAT5e) and 12 ports 10/100 Mbps CAT5e out is about $2500. Ten years ago it would have cost $15k without the gigabit out, which didn't exist.

You can buy today a little adapter, the size of a pack of cigarettes, that converts high speed fiber optic signals to 100Mbps ethernet for use over CAT5e for $250. I wouldn't be surprised to see Linksys (the "consumer" brand by Cisco) and D-Link start selling wireless routers with gigabit ports for <$100 in the next two years.

Twenty years ago I was paying CompuServe $21.95 per hour for access at 9600 bps via modem. Now I pay Comcast $40 per month for unlimited access at about 650,000 bps (at the right time of day). When the connection is right I can download an entire 650 MB CD in 20 minutes. Back then it would have taken 12.5 days and cost $275 in connect charges! Of course, back then I was spending almost $100/month doing just what I am doing now - participating in forums with people whose company I enjoy immensely.

That AT&T fiber optic network you are talking about is already in parts of my state and I will probably go back to them when its available in my area. Its called UVerse an will be pretty cheap with optimum clarity for TV. This is the only thing I miss with Comcast as the picture is definitely not as good but at least its there all the time unlike our only other option in my area so its 1 or the other. Hopefully this UVerse is better cause I do not have a contract with Comast so will switch in a heart beat.

I, too, have the Verizon FIOS for both the internet and TV. Both have been outstanding the TV picture is as good as I have ever seen.

Latest posts

Back