Combining two different kits to make a blended Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbuck

Reaction score
I've successfully made 25 wine kits, thank you Lord; the first 8 just by the kit instructions; then learned about tan cru tannin and started adding it to my reds. I am now realizing my internal wine geek and want to create a blend of two reds. My question is to anyone who has done this:

When do you blend them? I assume you do both kits separately, then blend them in whatever % you like in a glass until you get the taste you are looking for and then blend them together in a carboy? After blending how long do you wait for bottling? Is there any reason to blend right after fermentation?

I bought to kits of the RJS LE Aglianico and am thinking I might make one regular and then one to blend with some merlot and/or cab.

My wife and I really like the pure full bodied Italians, but we also really like the blends we've made - Enigma, Trio.

Thoughts?

I would make them separately and wait until cleared and aged a bit, then bench test to determine your best blend percentages. If it were me, I'd let the blend mellow at least a couple weeks before bottling. Then I'd rack before bottling to be sure I've got it mixed well.

I like BB's advice....

You may find that you do not like the blend you make. By waiting until both wines are complete, you have the option of experimenting.

Back