Cold Stabilization

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
I've read this article ... http://www.fallbright.com/lessonSorbate_ColdStab.htm

</span>about cold stabilizing a sweet wine and it says to keep your wine between 20 -25 degrees F for 2 weeks. What kind of an appliance would be in that temperature range? Will a household fridge get that cold or a freezer run that warm?

Curious!
Edited by: Joan

Arrrghh!!! That link works in the preview window!!!! Just backspace on the "%20" thing at the end of url and it will go where it's supposed to go!

Joan,

You don't necessarily have to go that cold, but then you would have to stabilize for a longer period. So if you can't do 20 - 25* F for 2 weeks, you might try 30 - 35* F for 4 weeks.

As to what appliance to use to get it that cold. Well, an easy way to do it is to wait until the weather outside is cold, and then leave your wine outside for a certain amount of time. If you have a fridge that will get that cold, you could use that. Or you coulduse a spare freezer with an external temperature control that will monitor the wine temperature and turn the freezer on/off as applicable.

An example of such a temperature control is here:
http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16666
NOTE: I hate to point you away from FVW, but I couldn't find a similar device in George's store; however, he may be able to get you one (you'd have to check with him).

Thanks, Funky. I don't have anything to cold stabilize. I was more curious about what you'd use to do that. Around here it would be difficult to keep the outside temperature that constant.

Thank you for looking things up for me!! =)

I now have 3 different whites and they are cold stabilizing in my open garage. The first week the temps were 60+ during the day and about 40 at night. Since this weekend the temps have dropped into the 20 to 30 range day and night--right where they're supposed to be. I have vodka in the airlocks so they won't freeze. My question is...do I need to worry if it drops much below 20?

You should be safe for at least this week Joan. Temps shouldn't go much below 20 at night and up to 30-40 in the day, so the garage should stay pretty close to 20-25. Beyond this week- anybodys guess here in NY. How are those batches doing?

They're looking and tasting mighty good!
smiley4.gif

Are you in the eastern end of the lake effect belt? We've had a dusting but could get a bunch Thursday. I guess I need to put the snow tires on after work tomorrow! Ugg! (I wish I'd changed them last week when it was 60! Silly me!)

We're too far east for the lake effect snows here, but did pick up an inch or so today- first snow of the year. Yeah, we hit 67 two days in a row late last week. That's history. The record for those days was 50 and 52. When I came home this afternoon, I slid by the intersection for my road and had to go turn around- my truck is terrible on winter roads even with good tires.

Soon you will have those tasty babies all bottled up- but then it's harder to sample.
smiley19.gif

Ok Joan... Here is a newbie question... What are the benefits of cold Cold Stabilization and what is Cold Stabilization??? Soory about the question but I really don't understand it...
smiley5.gif

I think cold stabilization is to kill all the yeast, according to Jack Keller you do this instead of using pot-meta. I am going to try this when it warms up a little around here as I picked up an old fridge that can drop the temp to 20 degrees.

It's my understanding that grapes grown in NY tend to be more acidic than grapes grown elsewhere. Cold stabilization is supposed to change tartaric acid to the milder citric acid and remove the potassium bitartrate or cream of tartar. It will form crystals in the carboys. you rack it off the crystals before you bottle. Cold stabilizing also helps to clear the wine. I've never done it before and I really don't know what I'm doing but I believe what I read! =)

Here is a silly question? Will a 12% wine freeze solid? I have assumed that anything over 12 won't freeze solid???

The only thing man has never frozen (last I heard, anyway) is helium. Anything will freeze if you get it cold enough. If you remind me this weekend I will look up the freezing point of 12% etOH, and I'll bet ir will freeze at standard kitchen freezer temps.

Thanks Med! I've read that big long thread and it's great!

I've been going by the info posted on the site where I bought 2 of the whites I have. They have been making wine for years. The third white is from a vinyard about 5 miles from me. I picked those grapes myself. Right now the temp's at 18 and it's supposed to drop to about 9 before morning. I think I will carefully bring my wine inside!
smiley36.gif

Ok.. it's parked in a unheated hallway. It should be cold enough until the temps moderate this weekend and I can move it back to the garage.
smiley4.gif

For that device that controls the on off of a fridge to maitain a higher temp, would a freezer work just as well or should it really be a fridge? I have a 20 ft3 freezer I could convert.

It could work, Coaster - technically. But if I remember correctly, the temps should NOT be freezing (just at 33 F)... I don't know the freezing point of alcohol, but mine didn't freeze last year, but I wouldn't want to risk it again. I'm a little more careful this year with my wines.

So, I would get it as cold as possible, but not too cold so that it could freeze. Some sites say, "cold for 3 weeks" but mine were outside for like 5 days at sub-freezing temps, and it did well. But I checked on them a lot, had them covered in blankets, and I had them on the porch. I suspect that if you put a carboy in the freezer, there could be different results (regarding temps)....

Just my random thoughts...

Hope it helps.

Well, I racked my two gallons of Cayuga yesterday and had lots of crystals--cool stuff! (No, I didn't take pictures Waldo, but I will when I rack the other 2!) It's SuperKleering as I type and looking beautiful from the top down! And the taste? Ohhh yeahhhhh!
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back