CO2 symptoms?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truebrew

Reaction score
I really did do a search but didn't find the answer to the following question:
What are the symptoms of the "dreaded CO2" problem? I'm assuming most of them are taste-related.

Fizz....

Put some wine in a bottle... put your thumb over... shake... if you hear.. Pffffttt.... it's gassy...needs to be degassed.

Debbie

or insert your stirring spoon into the carboy and give it a quick stir then a quick reverse stir. If it explodes up like a volcano....you got CO2

This is one reason why it is important to make sure your wine has finished fermenting. If you rack too soon and degass, the remaining sugar will be consumed by the yeast creating more alcohol and CO2

You can sometimes taste the chemicals, sorbate sulfite with excess CO2. Time will cure this.

And exploding corks later on!!

I don't degas... if left in the carboy for 9-12 months... it will take care of itself!

Debbie

And exploding corks later on!!

I don't degas... if left in the carboy for 9-12 months... it will take care of itself!

Debbie

Ditto, I give the wine a good stir when I add my sparkolloid then over time any remaining CO2 will get released.

I don't add clearing agents... unless it's still cloudy after 9 months.

Mother Nature takes care of it for me!!

Saves me time and money!

Debbie

Fizziness and the CO2 can mask the true taste of the wine.

Be sure to get your temps around 75* for degassing. CO2 releases better at that temp.

Latest posts

Back