Closest yet to tornado forming over my farm

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
I love storms. Having had storm watch training in the 1980s, I saw potential here and grabbed my camera to snap this through the window at the farm Saturday...

The training says that in a storm coming from the west or southwest, look to the left for a descender, and that is where a tornado could form. See it? Oh yeah... so I stepped right outside the house after taking the first pic and grabbed this one...

There was wind and minor rotation, but the storm did not have quite enough juice to spin it all the way up. By the time it got past my shop building, it had broken up. Pretty .... darned ... close!

I stood under the porch of that shop building during a severe storm and watched a tornado pass over in the sky 3 years ago. The maple tree near the building? While I stood under that porch and watched, the wind twisted the top out of it - it used to be about 12 feet taller in the middle.

Cool stuff, man.

Weather is an awesome thing! These pictures are really cool. Ill have to try posting some storm pictures myself next time I'm out in a hurricane. I've seen 6 or 7 of these formations at once on the back side of storm bands. Once I watched one pass over a house and the pressure sucked all the doors open. Freaky stuff!

Weather is an awesome thing! These pictures are really cool. Ill have to try posting some storm pictures myself next time I'm out in a hurricane. I've seen 6 or 7 of these formations at once on the back side of storm bands. Once I watched one pass over a house and the pressure sucked all the doors open. Freaky stuff!

Been in tornadoes and hurricanes, myself. Love 'em. I figure I'm not going to be an idiot, I'm going to take precautions. But if it's gonna kill me, it will. So there's no fear there. I am glad I do not live in fear of it so I can enjoy the power.

Strange stuff gets done. In the aftermath of a Saturday evening tornado in central Illinois, I saw an 1836 Baptist church had been ripped open from the belltower in front, but the back half was still standing. Everything was completely destroyed inside - and yet there was the podium still standing where the minister had laid the Bible, open to the page he would read from on Sunday morning. The Bible was still where he had put it, and open to the correct page. The rest of the place was demolished. I have seen lots of stuff like that.

Never been in a tornado, after what happened to poor Moore, Oklahoma I'd be pretty nervous about it. I assume you folks in tornado alley probably know the drill by now, though... We do get plenty of earthquakes around these parts though, which are a whole other ball game.

Great pics Jim, I'm glad you and your wine is OK!

Yep, I just recalled this Old 2013 thread to post the photos back to it, since I had referenced it in the other thread about the current storm wreckage in my county.

Where'd you get that pic, Dawg? That's amazing. Almost too perfect to be real.

Where'd you get that pic, Dawg? That's amazing. Almost too perfect to be real.

Sorry Dawg, but I thought the same. There are so many Photoshop'd pics on the web, you just can't ever be sure. But I may have to call BS on this one.
To me, it's the 2 funnel clouds. The light doesn't match up and there are clear lines where the top of the funnel meets the clouds. Not as part of the cloud.

However... I'm the kind of person who rewinds Forest Gump during the Captain Dan scenes to see where his legs went. :)

Yeah, Lori's right. It is BS: http://www.kj103fm.com/articles/frito-422772/the-twin-tornadoes-that-werent-11350522/

Does this look familiar (yet somehow tornado-free)?
864_1370327220.jpg

Ah, the inter-webs. You have to give the artist credit, he got his 15 mins of fame.
Nice detective work ;)

Someone sent it to me, probably photoshopped
:c
Yeah, if you look at the post a few up from this by Sour_grapes, it has the same picture without the funnel clouds.
I guess it's no coincidence that Photoshop has a 'paintbrush' tool. It makes virtually any photograph and open canvas for the creative minded people.

Latest posts

Back