Close Call- Funnel Cloud

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ignorance is bliss.....

Yesterday about 6:00 in the evening there was a thunderstorm ripped through suddenly. Itgot dark and there was a horrendous noise. The winds picked up fiercely and the rain blew sideways in all directions at once. One of my brothers-in law lives next door with my sister. He was in his garage and heard the horrible noise and looked up over our house. There was all kinds of debris swirling around in the air above the house. Hecalled to my sister and they flew down into the basement. It only lasted abouta minute badly. The rain continued for a while and about 2 minutes later the power cut out. The funnel had gone diagonally and ripped out a transformer and blew down many trees in all directions but in a narrow path. It tore down sheds and blew a boat 100 feet into a ditch. There is a field between our house and ther and there is a big piece of red barn roof in the middle of the field along with large chunks of trees dropped in a path. There are nor red barn roofs within 10 miles of the field. I guess what goes up, must come down.

I had to go to the engineer's office today and pick up plans and the girl there was telling me a funnel cloud went over their house, and blew more trees down and overturned boats and trailers. I asked where she lives, and it's in a direct line with our place and the spot where all the trees were ripped out of the ground. Apparently there was a small funnel cloud/tornado went through and we didn't even realize it.

Kind of scary, but things could have been much worse. The worst thing that happened besides apples on the ground was the phone got blown up again!
smiley36.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif

WOW!!! You must be living right...another storms missed you.

Glad that it was only property damage and no one was hurt.

apple,

I hope your vines and apples are ok. We weren't expecting anything today but TS Humberto developed this morning and we are supposed to get alot of rain and wind tonight. Houston floods so bad so will be interesting to see how gettting to work in the morning will be.

Should just stay home and sip wine
smiley1.gif
....Ramona

20070912_182318_map_spectrop06_.jpg
Edited by: rgecaprock

I have lived with tornadoes all of my life. They can be very scary, but down here, we usually have warnings. I lived on the west coast with earthquakes and I prefer tornadoes. As I said, there are usually warnings. Glad to hear no one was injured.

On the way home today from town I decided to find where the roofing came from so I drove up to the next street over- a mile west of me. I located a house with much steel roofing lifted and a sheet missing. The guy was out trying to clean up some of the mess. There was a swath of trees about 100 feet wide tipped over or broken off(locust-very hard wood). The roofing was droped a mile and a half from where it was ripped off the roof.

When I got home I googled the location and plotted a line between known touchdowns. My house is in a direct line with the touchdowns. I feel very fortunate I was one of the spots where it lifted off the ground. Just like the stuff you see on TV where one house is destoyed and the one next door is spared. Thanks everyone for the concern.

20070913_105051_FunnelCloud_Sma.JPG

Amazing...You were very lucky indeed.....That roof must have flown right over your place.....Thank God that all you lost were some apples and branches....sounds like others were not as lucky.

The power of wind is amazing.Edited by: Northern Winos

Whoa Nelly!!!!! That is waaaay too close for comfort!!! I'm glad it missed you!

Latest posts

Back