Clearing Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAgreeneyes

Reaction score
So my fig wine is coming along nicely. Only thing is that it is brown in color. I read posts about clearing and my question is is it too late for me to try to clear my wine? At what step in the process do you suggest the clearing begins. I have let it set the required number days ago now it's time to let her set a spell.

And what do I use for clearing and how much do I use?

Brown color raises the possibility of oxidation. However, I have had a few wines start brownish and wind up yellow or amber in color after they clear.
Have you treated the wine with Campden/K-meta?

Sometimes the wine will clear on it's own without doing anything. Generally I won't use anything as a clearing agent until at least 6 months has gone by. Then I usually try SuperKleer. However, I've found Isinglass works better for citrus wine for some strange reason.

Unless the wine is 6 months old, completely degassed, and still cloudy, I wouldn't do anything.

"Don't just do something...stand there."

I've only done kits so far and all four had me do clearing after... fermentation complete, then racking, then degassing, then stabilizing and finally clearing (two packets, one must follow the other).

fig wine always has brownish green color..i have made 9 gallons, it was all the same color....the problem with fig wine is that it is very temp sensitive.
over 80 degrees in the primary, it is a dozy to get clear, and usually suffers from a starch haze.
the fig wine she is talking bout is just out of primary, im sure.

I agree that you should not do anything now. There's lots of debris that needs to settle out. I'd let it sit for 6-9 months. Rack when needed. This probably would have been a good wine to bentonite at the primary. Getting the sediment out of it may improve the color, but figs are pretty brown to begin with and that may just be the color of it.

You can always use bentonite in the secondary---evaluate in 6-9 months, then you can decide what to do.

the fig wine that i have made is, a golden amber after it clears, it is a nice color, but ugly brownish green starting off..it amazes me the color changes in these wines from, fermenting to finish..just amazing

Then if that's the case, I'd be sure to allow plenty of time to clear. Maybe it won't even need any intervention if allowed enough time. That's why you don't panic with a new wine and start all kinds of manipulation---it's, sometimes, not needed.

yea...thanks to you and others, i found out the hard way...patience is needed in this hobby...
the left one is 15 days old, the one on the right is 3 mos...same wine (blackberry)

20130728_100712.jpg

Believe me---just let it sit in the secondary and rack when needed. Let us know what's going on with it in 6 months or so. You can bentonite then, if needed. If you do this wine again, use bentonite in the primary.

Believe me---just let it sit in the secondary and rack when needed. Let us know what's going on with it in 6 months or so. You can bentonite then, if needed. If you do this wine again, use bentonite in the primary.

Ok. I will do that and keep you all updated.

Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back