clearing agent

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3274mike

Michigan Member
Reaction score
Well I used betonite for the first time(if I spelled that right) not so fond of it. Does sparkoid work better? I may not have used it correctly. I believe it was 2 tsp per 5 gallon but I didn't like the messy goop I know its basically clay. And it didn't clear that much probably just not enough patience but anyway does sparkoloid do the same thing?

Bentonite isn't very good after fermentation. You need to keep stirring 2-3 times a day and risk ruining your wine. Gelatin or Sparloid in conjunction with Kieselsol work extremely well (you see some of these supplied in the better kits).

My personal favorite additive is gelatin (I don't use bentonite at all) because it's cheap, really easy to use and changes the finished product the least. Actually time and refrigeration is what I use almost exclusively. I have a batch of Zinfandel that's only 5 weeks old, but it's crystal clear because the basement floor is so cold and it's been sitting perfectly still for about 2 weeks.

Another famous clarifier is egg whites. 1 egg white will clear a 6 gallon batch. Just beat it a little with a 1/2 cup of the wine, then mix it into the secondary. This is the old world additive for clearing up reds during barrel aging.

I hope this helps!

One of the best Articles on fining agents at this link .

As you will see, different agents for different problems. Some times it works better if you use a negative and then a positive agent.

Bentonite works best when i use it in the primary the active ferm keeps it good and stirred up

Latest posts

Back