Clear Bottles For Red Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Parisi

Reaction score
Is there any reason to NOT use clear bottles for red wine if it will be kept out of the light?

It is said that light can degrade the wine, so if you store the wine in the dark anyway, a clear bottle shouldn’t matter.

I agree with the answers already given. If you drink your wine not too long after taking it out of the dark storing room there is no problem. Commersial red wines in almost clear bottles are wines that are meant to be drank young.

UV light is the culprit so if you are keeping the wine "out of the light" there should be no problem with storage.

I have a different problem. I am using light green bottles for some of my whites because clear bottles are harder to find. I don't see an issue with this. The Germans along the Moselle have been doing it for centuries.

UV light is the culprit so if you are keeping the wine "out of the light" there should be no problem with storage.

I have a different problem. I am using light green bottles for some of my whites because clear bottles are harder to find. I don't see an issue with this. The Germans along the Moselle have been doing it for centuries.

I was at a winery run by an old,old,old German man a few years ago. My wife and I noticed that all his wines were in green bottles. We're asked him about it and he looked at us like we're had three heads. Everything goes in green, i don't know how people will tray my wine after I sell it to them. They will pour it into the window, leave it for two years and then complain, because it is bad. We got quite a chuckle out if him.

It is said that light can degrade the wine, so if you store the wine in the dark anyway, a clear bottle shouldn’t matter.
I have created a way to store wine REALLY in the dark for a very, very, very low cost. If anyone is interested, just post and I will explain.......Dizzy

Rocky, I just purchased from Labelpeelers, both 750 ml and 375 ml clear bottles for a reasonable price.....check them out..............Dizzy

Rocky, I just purchased from Labelpeelers, both 750 ml and 375 ml clear bottles for a reasonable price.....check them out..............Dizzy

Yeah, Dizzy, they are just under $1 per bottle for clear 750 ml bottles which is about the best price out there. Sadly, a few weeks back they had the same bottles for $17 or so and they were selling them on a "buy one, get one" basis. That brought the price down to about $.70 per bottle, which was a steal. Unfortunately, I was hesitant and missed the sale.

Latest posts

Back